Iris ID?

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 6b)

This is a very old iris that came with the property I live on. Does anyone have any idea of its ID?

Thumbnail by chicochi3

Here's another photo

Thumbnail by chicochi3
Newfoundland, NJ

Maybe its FRANK ADAMS.
Laetitia

Newfoundland, NJ

Here is FRANK ADAMS.
Laetitia

Thumbnail by Sugarbean1

That looks like it. Thanks!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Or an early Sass. Brain not functioning yet. Ramses?

Have to see if I have a picture of it.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2007 5:28 AM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Hit the wrong button. Try again.

Edited to say very near but not quite. Will go check out the HIPS website.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2007 5:30 AM

Thumbnail by inanda
Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

This is Indian Chief.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

Would a photo of the entire plant help? So far these all look like it. :=(

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

It's so HARD to identify plants from photos of flowers. An educated guess is about the best you can do. I have irises blooming now that look at lot like Indian Chief, but the colors are slightly different. They were here when we moved in eight years ago and have multiplied and I have spread them around.

I have a lot of old irises that were on the property from long ago. Apparently, irises abhor a vacuum. I keep thinning them, and they keep filling in the areas where I thinned them from. Then I have all these extra bulbs that I thin out. I think my neighbors have decided they have all the irises they need. I have to think of something else to do with the ones I thin out.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Hi Chicochi3,

It would be GREAT if you posted closeup pix of your old iris. Always trying to ID old (=historic) iris.
inanda

I will get what I can. Unfortunately, we had temps in the low 80's and all the irises(and roses)had buds on them. Then we dropped to the low 20's and upper 10's and most of the buds froze. I don't think I will have many irises blooming this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.