Horn Farm Cannas Co-Op participants.. how are yours growing?

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Ok, I am going to try again... the first thread turned into chit chat and no canna reports. I really want to hear and see how others who ordered at the same time in this co-op are doing. I still have not gotten mine planted. My knee is just about ready to let me get down to ground level to dig. The humidity here has been so low... 8% yesterday that I am misting them in the bags at least daily! Here are mine.. took them out of the bags to check and take the pics. They are all showing some growth! I am bout to put a few into some pots.

Tammie

this is the Red King Humbert... look closely and you can see the growth points in several places.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2007 4:33 PM

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

Here are my red dazzlers.. I have about 6 growth points on these so far they are wet because I just sprayed them... they dry out sooo fast here.

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

here are my crimson beauties.. look at all those growth points. They are ready to GROW!

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

these two Cleopatras are definitely not waiting on me to plant them!

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

... and my City of Portlands are not far behind.. got to get them in the ground! How are everyone elses doing. I know a lot of us bought in that coop... enough that they ran out!

Tammie

Thumbnail by LhasaLover
Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

hi there just found this site and added it .Got my canna today and very healthy can't wait to plant them hopefully on the week end if weather is nice. They all look great . I'm going to a round up in june, I'm going to take some for trade !! ....Sharon

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

I planted mine in pots around 7-10 days ago and nothing popping thru yet. But boy did they look healthy when I planted them. I would guess just about anytime they should be breaking thru. I'll let you know!
Dan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I have some popping up out of the ground. I'll report back tomorrow.

Edited to add my list of names so I can keep up with them. I'll report back later on the ones with growth showing and add posts of pics as they progress. Great thread Tammie!
Cleopatra
Tropical Sunrise
Maudie Malcom
City of Portland
Stadt Feltbach
Wyoming
Black Knight

This message was edited Apr 26, 2007 8:17 AM

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

WOO HOO!!! Great looking tubers! Will let you know when mine are tall enough to take pics of...I have some tips already up though!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm new to Canna's only had one or two before. Last year I was given some of the Red 6ft and then traded for some yellow 3 ft (I think). They are still packed away and I will be getting them out soon to see how they over wintered. I bought 1 Maudie Malcolm, 2 Wyoming,1 Cleopatra,1 Pretoria,1 Orange Beauty,1 Crimson Beauty, 3 Dawn Pink, 1 Stadtfeltbach, and 3 Tropical Sunrise. I have an area near my Bird feeders and Bird bath/fountain. It's the view from Living room. I'm thinking of planting them in some what of a semi-circle in the back corner. I'm thinking of putting one of the smaller cannas in my fountain. I had one before that did pretty good there. Guess I'll have to read up on planting and growing Canna's. I see some names on this thread I recognize, with the trades and co-ops I am venturing into new areas. Suggestions and help welcome I'll post pictures when I get them planted and they start to grow. Holly

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Holly, from the pictures of your gardens I've seen, you do a great job of designing beds and arranging groupings. You'll have a wonderful grouping with a semi-circle of cannas. IMO, leaf color can play a big part in the overall look of canna groupings too. A small canna in a fountain is a great unique idea! I can hardly wait to see your gardens!

Deborah

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

My rhizomes from Horn's all arrived with sprouts, and about 6 inches tall now.

It took me forever to get them all planted and some are just now starting to poke up out of the ground. I can't wait to see them really growing.

Tammie

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I will take some pictures of some of mine...they are coming out really well! Can't wait for blooms!

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL Tammie, I didn't think I'd ever get all mine planted either. One day I'll learn to order in very small amounts....I know it would make some members of my family happy :)

I'll post photos as they bloom.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

If you figure out how to do that, please let me in on the secret!!! lol

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Janet, I'm not going to ever learn......I was just joking. LOL I have son's that take turns mowing for me, and I can tell you they are really sweethearts, but each one of them complains about too many plants :) I just smile and add more. My plant purchasing has got to be an additction....LOL

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

As most of us...we need a twelve step program....lol

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I too am new to Cannas. Everyone that I purchased is up and growing well. I can't wait for them to get bigger and start to bloom.
Great co-op, good prices for healthy plants.. can't beat that with a stick.
Fran

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, I don't have much to report yet. We had a rather large dirt pile in the back corner of the yard that we started to remove last year. It was just over 12 X 12 and 2 1/2 ft high. We started to remove it from the two back edges. We made enough headway last summer to plant a semicircle hedge of hollies. But there was still a lot of the dirt pile to move and due to my shoulder surgery I wasn't doing any of the digging. Finally Ric got in there and finished the job then added some good compost and rototilled it. He got all the Cannas planted. I know we are running late but the tubers looked good going in. There are about 30 cannas planted in this bed and we potted up one Dawn pink for the pond. I can't wait to see everyone's pictures when they start to bloom.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That is going to be quite a display! Can't wait to see them! Hope your shoulder is doing well!

Phoenix, AZ

Here are some in pots, the rest are @ the side of the house. They are not getting as much sun, so not as far along.

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

What a great assortment of plants! Those are beautiful!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Fish_Knees, Love the Blue and terricotta, Last year I had a canna in a pot with Margaritas planted in the bottom. That's a very nice display of pots and plants.
Here is a shot from last year of the same area. The new canna bed is where all that grass and wild tiger lilies are just in front of the electric pole. I just can't wait to see how it looks this year.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Phoenix, AZ

HollyannS, That is going to be gorgeous!
I would kill for your weather right now :( Supposed to be 106 by the end of he week.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Ok, here are some pictures of the canna I ordered.

Some of my tag names faded before my eon markers came in. So I have some names and the rest will have to wait for process of elimination when they bloom.

Warning: I had never heard of leaf roller worms...I have now! Damage is done, but I have cured the problem and the new growth should be fine.

1st flower pic is Dawn..partially eaten flower. canna directly behind Dawn is Black Beauty and behind that is Cleopatra (this one has a large flower bud)

chris

Thumbnail by chris_lcf530

Cleopatra's flower bud. This one looks to be in perfect shape.

Very pretty. My horn cannas are now at most about 8" tall but quickly growing. Took me so long to get them in the ground and then forever to start growing. I will have pics in the future. anyone else already getting blooms from theirs?

Tammie

These are Orange Beauty, This is where I discover leaf rollers!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Chris, is that Glad "Atom" behind the Canna? It is a beauty!

This is a group that I have to wait till they bloom to find out which ones they are.
Big flower bud on right side.

Janet,
ty, that is Redwing Butterfly and she sure is pretty!
I cant wait for the rest to flower. This is my first year with glads.

chris

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes she is...looks a lot like Atom too..I wonder if the flower is larger...do you have a close up? I would love to see it better. Where did you purchase them?

Janet,

These are from Gurney's. This is the first year.
They are not the orange that the photo looks like. They are redder like the unopened bud on the top of the picture. Maybe even a little darker red than that.

chris

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That is beautiful!

Here is Cleopatra:

And Stadt Feltbah has bloomin for a few days :

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

OH WOW!!! I can't wait for that to bloom!

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Well, I just found this thread.

Janet you know you should dmail me when things like this come up. LOL

Here is Tropical Sunrise

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom

Very Nice color, I should have gotten some of those also. Lol
But if I bought them all I wouldnt need to join the next canna co-op.
The only ones that are struggling are the Pretoria, only 1 of the 2 showed up and it is only about 8-10".
They were all planted the same time.
I am thrilled that so many have bloomed so beautifully.

chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.