Third plant for identification

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

I had originally hoped that this may be a maple but I have too many appearing in the garden to be that optimistic any more.

Thumbnail by Artgal
Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

I don't know what you call it, but I have two fully grown ones that must have 10,000 offspring each year!!! I pull at first, but then breakdown and roundup them. Good luck.

Catherine

Yep. It looks like the same "trash tree" maple I have in the front yard here.
Why trash tree?
They re-seed like the dickens, and spread out so many feeder roots it is really hard and almost impossible when they get larger to garden around them.
Mine has only turned color once in the fall in 10 years.
They are very shady and if you are wanting to plant underthem it may be difficult.
They KEEP ON SPREADING, spreading limbs shading things out.
Best thing? They drop leaves quickly and all at once so you don't have to keep raking like oaks.

GGG

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh ya that's maple, I get about 20 of those a year.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

I do believe these are called 'Norway' maple and they are surely WEEDS, coming up everywhere you don't want them!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

You can say this is a trash tree, or you can call it a native maple; I think Acer rubrum or Acer floridatum or A. barbatum. Some maples are more prolific (with seeds) than others, and more prolific in some years than other years. I have heard that the fall color of maples can change somewhat if the tree gets better sunlight/feeding. A yellow maple will not change to red, but the yellow color will brighten. One of my neighbors has yellow maples so glorious in the fall they put your eyes out! Ours are just creamy yellow. We have several small ones--about 15 ft.--that we are trying to nurture. The mom tree, in the nearby woods, does make a lot of babies for me to weed out, but that hasn't diminished my love of the beautiful form of these trees. As usual, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Weed 'em, or love 'em--your choice. Sheila

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

The one on the right is a Red Maple, and the one on the left is a Sweetgum. Both are native.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, wow! Didn't even realize I had two different trees in the picture. Both are uprooted now (growing in the flower beds). Perhaps I should have saved the red maple?

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

You'll probably find plenty more.

Frankfort, KY

I've pulled hundreds out of my flower beds alone this year and every year. But, I bet if I transplanted one it would die!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, the one on the right was a acer rubrum.Would have been a keeper.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

The sweetgum was certainly a WEED! My neighbors has them and they seed everywhere, and I am dreading the day that hers get large enough for the cones, because they will also fall into my yard. I hate them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.