anybody else killing gaillardia?

Amesbury, MA

Can't grow these any better than I can grow Guara, (which I can't)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Mine are fine. They all made it through the winter again. I love them.

Amesbury, MA

Are you doing anything speciial as to soil etc.? We had a verycold end of winter with little snow cover. I think that might have hurt them. they were fabulous last summer!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Most of mine died, too.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I haven't ever grown them. Not yet, anyhow.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Pirl, they are great. They're just not permanent. If I get 4 years out of them, I'm happy.
But they are easy to start from seed and bloom the first year.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

I'll definitely give them a try. Thanks for the great photo to encourage me.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Oranges and Lemons is my favorite or do they call it Lemons and Oranges? Either way it is a keeper. I think that it thrives in poor soils, something I didn't know. Are you growing it in rich soil?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

nucci, maybe you should avoid plants that start with 'G'.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Nucci, I got 2 seasons then tried to transplant them and they disappeared.

Amesbury, MA

good one, victorgardener!

Maybe a Gum would stick around for you.

Stick around? Please, Victor, go and have a great time with Mickey and the gang. You need to get away for awhile. (Enjoy!)

Concord, NH

They are a plant that likes really good drainage, and a damp winter can do them in. Mine are grown in an area that was all gravel (for roof drainage) that has had some sand filter in from winter spreading on the walkway and then has fine bark mulch on top. This will be their fourth year and I haven't seen any diminishing of their vigor yet. They are pretty much buried in snow until thaw, and then no water sits around them during "mud season" since there's such sharp drainage.

Amesbury, MA

I think I will try again and mix in some sharp sand in the soil, because they did put on quite a show.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have mine in average soil with a light bark mulch and they still reseed some.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I just checked my burgandy one and it has new growth! This was the first winter for them and was wondering how they did....so glad it came back!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I just tested some of my seed... and they are good... if anyone needs some... I have a few to spare

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

this is the plant the seeds came from

Thumbnail by onewish1
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

OneWish, do you DeadHead it much?
Rumor has it that heavy DeadHeading of Gaillardia weakens the plant.
I Deadhead a lot and they don't live long. But they bloom all Summer.
Most of the dwarf (under 15 inches) will not breed true, reliably.
They don't like wet locations at all.
Andy P

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

well mine is three years old and i dead headed once a week when it was going crazy... just keeps it looking nicer... this year I am going to dig it up and divide it... the middle started getting woody and not much action there... sooooo hopefully that goes well

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I planted 'Arizona Sun' (5 plants) last spring. really liked it, but it didn't get very big. From what I'm reading here, if I don't see anything by now, I've probably lost it? not one of those that springs up from the roots? it's in mostly clay, but it's a raised bed and drains...no standing water. also an exposed location though.

I wintersowed 'Burgundy', but only have one seedling so far. I understand 'Burgundy' is hard from seed, unlike the yellows. I didn't deadhead at all so I wouldn't wear it out the first year.

I wanted something really bright, that would bloom most of the season, in this location (not an annual), so it could be seen from across our small lake.

ps nucci, also planted gaura last year for the first time, which seems to be 'gone with the winter', but I was warned about that

Thumbnail by grampapa
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

grampapa... mine didn't start to come up yet either.... give them some time.... I see a few new seedlings spouted up next to the mother plant .... but momma is still sleeping too

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

ok, I'll be patient

Dumb question of the day: if I plant from seed will I get flowers this year?

Amesbury, MA

I just bought two 2 quart gaillardia goblin, and I am going to amend the soil to provide better drainage. If they die next spring, I will dig them up and fling them against the garage wall. that will show them LOL!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pirl - I only think the annual varieties like Sundance Bicolor etc. will flower in their first year.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Hey Al! Where you been hiding?

Thanks for the advice. I'll buy them instead so I can have flowers this year.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Pirl, My fav is the Goblin. I've started them from seed and I think I got flowers the first year, The next year is better.
Gram, I had only one Arizona Sun return for a second season out of 6. Also from seed.
Hi, Al....
Andy P

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mine never came back either. I think it should be labelled an annual.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Dave, et al

I am offline at home right now as we are in between ISP's. We got a brand spanking new computer and are switching to broadband come Friday. I do check in at work some right now, but it's busy there.

Some of the gaillardia are slow coming up so I would wait or check them before ripping out.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

We await your return Al. The forum just ain't the same without you. Plus Victor is on vacation so we are missing about 2/3 of the normal amount of bad jokes. I am doing my best, but....

I think we're all missing them.

Deering, NH(Zone 4b)

Have tried 4 different types for 2 years now. They never make it thru the winter. I give up!

I saw one yesterday but I'll wait until they flower before I buy any. People switch those labels much too often.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, mine survived (at least one did); the burgandy variety. It is sort of planted under the arms of a low, spreading yew. It has to reach out to get the sun. I was going to place it someplace else - but maybe it needed the protection of the yew!

Never grew them. Might try soon. I'm generally not into the hot colors but any perennial that blooms for long periods is worth looking into.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

The burgandy variety is more subtle in its colouring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.