Cyathea cooperi or Hapu'u

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I cannot tell these guys apart for the life of me. I've got several Australian Tree Ferns (Cyathea cooperi) here at home, but I'm dying to know if what I keep seeing in HI is the same thing (invasive as it is) or the 'native' Hapu'u (Hawaiian Tree Fern)?

Inquiring minds have to know.

Thanks for any help
-John

Thumbnail by keonikale
Hayward, CA

Thats the Hapu Cybotium glaucum,not Hapu'u,Cyathea cooperi. First is the smooth petioles on the fronds,second and easiest to see difference is that the Cybotiums have lacy, droopy,arching fronds.The Aussie tree fern fronds are generic,and grow in a flat plane.
I don't know for sure that the Hawaiian tree fern is that much less cold tolerant than the Aussie. It's just that the Aussie is a lot faster and easier for growers to propagate.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Do either of you know how long it takes for the c. cooperis to gain heigth? My fern sort of shifted gears this year and has new growth charactoristics. I bought this 3 years ago at home depot - it was stuffed in a corner all scragly looking. I planted it by the pond, but removed it over the first winter and decided to leave it in the ground permanantly after that winter. It survived a hard freeze oddly enough and it began growing the fronds almost straight up, instead of the usual out and horizontal. It's doubled in size from last year. Having no experience with them, just want to see if this is usual. I am suspecting that after a certain stage they become more hardy and excelerate in the growth pattern?
Thanks,
Rj

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Hrm, maybe I'll leave mine out this winter then. Looks beautiful and that looks normal for a fern that size IMHO.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

okay...thanks.
Other changes that probably contributed was the next door neighbors 100 year old pecan tree was blown down during huricane rita, and it is receiving more sun. The Bird of Paradise next to it got fried in the freeze, and the fern wasn't even disturbed. That's what's making me think that after a certain stage, it becomes a bit more hardy than at a younger stage. That last frond that came out measured 8 feet long...it's really taking off ... The only other change was putting messenger on it once a month...mabe it really likes that..

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I just looked at Plant Files. I didn't realize this fern was hardy down to 10F. That's pretty good for a fern.

Hayward, CA

Well RJ, I'm surprised you were able to grow GBOP. And it looks to be a good 6-10 years old too.When you say fried do you mean just leaves or killed?
I wouldnt believe at all that C.cooperi can take 10f..that would be the miracle survivor,freak of nature type thing. If they live through 20-21..i would be happy. And that would be just be living trunk. It's said an Aussie can grow a foot of trunk a year. That's very best case. and remember so many Aussies have a gene blend of fast growers and slow growers. Here i know of one Aussie with 8' of trunk. A trunk only 3" wide and with 2' fronds!...just a scaled down regular tree fern. I have to take a photo of that one-ha.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, yes..just the leaves got fried. It is about 7 years old now.. The BOP's do pretty good here. My tree is the smallest amongst my friends. Theres are huge. It usually doesn't freeze in the area all of us live in, so probably why they do well.
The FernTree looks like it's going to go for the adding a foot to the trunk. Last year there was no trunk. It's like a switch was turned on and it took off. In reality, I bet if I compare the pictures, it's doubled it's size all 3 years I've had it. I'm pretty glad I bought it. It was a Charlie Brown Christmas tree so to speak. Was stuffed in the corner at home depot, looked like they were going to throw it out..no fronds...So I brought it home like I was bringing home a stray dog or something ..LOL

Rj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.