What in the world???!!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Something snipped/chewed/bit off the tops of some of my tulips, now I just have leaves and stems. The flowers were laying on the ground next to the plant like Morticia Adams was in my yard.
What in the world could have done that?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I once had a toddler neighbor do that!
Were the buds eaten at all? Usually deer eat the whole bud.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

A friend did it to her husband's tulips but she lives here and has no gripe with you so I think we can count her out.

Squirrels? Rabbits?

My dog has chewed on the green leaves and dig up the bulbs. She started to chew on the bulb. She did not touch the flower that I know of.

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

Hmm, the flowers weren't eaten at all? Were the leaves chewed? Any digging or animal prints around the flowers? If no, I'd vote neighborhood kids with nothing else to do.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We're not in a development and all the houses are on about an acre or more so I have no kids around here except mine and my 4 yr old knows which flowers he can pick and my 8 month old...well she can't even crawl yet. :)

It's so bizarre the leaves and stems were not eaten just the flower tops were chopped off and ,whatver it was, left the flower heads on the ground next to the plant.

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

Gosh, I'm stumped. Perhaps it's chipmunks with a sense of humor?

I'll bet on rabbits. Try blood meal but be warned - if you have a dog he'll dig to see what's going on with the scent of it.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I caught a squirrel doing the equivalent of "cow tipping" with my peony flowered tulips. He came up to the tulip, knocked the stem with both paws hard and watched the flower snap off and fall to the ground.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I caught a squirrel doing the same thing. They seem to like the middle part of the tulip -stamen?

We need a squirrel expert.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Calling all squirrel experts!!!!!!!!!!!!! We do have chipmunks, hmmm, maybe I'd better set up surveillance.

A Mouse? They are noted to eat vegatation.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.