First SpringSummer Tanager

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This morning I was sitting out in the garden watching for birds and butterflies, and this lovely fellow flew into the Japanese Privit… Got some help from Maureen at the neighborhood Wild Bird Center and finally concluded he is a First Spring, Male Summer Tanager. The first Spring coloring is very different from the more mature Summer Tanagers. It was quite a wonderful & welcome sight..I sure hope he stays.

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok here is another pic....As clear as I could get before he hid in the Tree. I will keep looking for him, my garden is full of the kinds of things these guys eat. I would be surprised to see STs at the feeders.

Deb

Marlton, NJ

Congratulations Deb! Nice pics!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd agree with the ident., it has the big bill of a Summer Tanager. Scarlet Tanager has a much smaller bill.

Resin

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks pelle!

I really appreciate the confirmation Resin, thx!

Believe I will see more of a bird variety this year since I've expanded the wildlife to the whole of my property. It's hard to get the full impact of it from a little picture, everything isn't all the way up yet. On the right here is 1 long row of Milkweed with a small Hercules Club in back under the tree, and the row along the fence with Lindera & Aristolochia among over a dozen other larval hosts, and tons of nectar plants for BFs and HBs all over.
It takes about 4 pics to get it all in, so here's a view of the southwest corner>

Marlton, NJ

Very nice Deb!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Deb, I'm catching up this morning - and I love what you're doing with your gardens!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow thanks Murmur & Pellle!!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

How exciting to see the tanager! I have only seen this bird once a few years ago at my son's Boy Scout camp out in the boonies. There was a crowd of people around me and I saw this gorgeous red bird dart out and catch a bug in mid air. I was yelling "LOOK, LOOK" and instead of looking at the bird everyone turned and looked at me like I was a nutcase lol! (we were supposed to be listening to some guy who was giving us a tour) When I pointed out the bird which was still visible but farther away on a tree branch they were very "ho hum". But I did suddenly have a lot more clear space around me (hee hee).

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Lily! Your story sounds sooo familiar LOL! I should have a T-shirt that says " LOOK LOOK!!"

Deb:-)

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful plant he's in Deb! I saw my first tanagers yesterday - it was so exciting :) I sorely need binoculars though :( I hope you get more pics to share!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Me too Sunny! Thanks!
The plant is Japanese Privet, and me and the butterflies just love it. They can be shaped to fit all sorts of venues.

Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.