Calling all peapickers

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

English peas are ready. They did get some damage from the Easter freeze, cut the yield, but they still taste real good. These are Willet Wonder, which are really early.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Congratulations Farmerdill. You set a standard that the rest us us can aspire to. As mentioned in a different thread, all my peas and beets were a complete bust! nary a one. Enjoy them!

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Nice Farmerdill!

A lot of my peas are sulking from the cold snap but I do see a few pods forming. My snow peas are baring and I'm having trouble picking them before they get strings in them but I had them and some baby spinach for supper last night.

Here's a question for ya. What is the best way to find the pea pods on the plant? I have a terrible time because they are exactly the same color as the leaves/stem so it seems to take me forever to find one and then decide if it's ready to pick.

As always, thanks for the help.
Jeff

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Mine just poke themselves out and and holler "Pick me , Pick me"

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Hmm, the snow peas are growing on a fence and all the pods seem to be hidden on the fence side. The fence doesn't really help support them much so they certainly won't be in my valuable fence area next year!

The fence runs north/south and the plants are on the west side so all the pods seem to form between the plants and the fence on the east side. Do they seek sun to flower/create pods?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Those are some gorgeous peas.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Beautiful peas ! I bet they're good ! I may need to try that variety next time.

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's mine - LOL. Now they're all brown. A few are showing new shoots but I'm afraid it'll be too hot before they bear fruit.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautifull peas FarmerD!
We just harvested the last of our sugarsnaps last weekend. I've shelled the older ones and eaten the younger ones whole. Our weather's been odd. Cold one week, roasting the next. Those poor peas were confused.
The Kentucky Wonders went in as transplants and are currently tucked in under some floating row cover. Time to migrate from peas to beans.

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Nice looking haul, Farmerdill. My own peas finally have pods on them but no peas in those pods. I'm sooooo disappointed. Do you have any thoughts on why this happens and if it can be rectified?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hopefuly all that is needed is patience. Pods form and then the peas form. Depending on the cultivar that time interval can be from a couple of weeks to a month. Rarely do the pods not fill. This years freeze did kill a few in the pod, but it is the first time that I have encountered that phenomenon. If your vines are healthy and setting pods, just hang on.

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info, Farmerdill. Unfortunately, even thought I should know better, I've been known to be a trifle impatient. LOL

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

mouth watering ...my problem I eat half them raw before they get to the table. My kids have picked up this habit and now that they are teenagers I rarely get peas to cook. I just know when they are in the garden they are NOT volunteering to weed.

Stansbury Park, UT(Zone 6a)

Very nice looking peas Farmer D. I am looking forward to some peas of my own here soon I hope. I planted Green arrow and Sugar Snap peas. So far they look great. That picture at the top of the thread is making me so excited to start picking peas!! Thanks for the pics!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Mine died with the blackberry winter. Time to plant more.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

My Sugar Snaps are very small plants yet.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The original Sugar Snap is a BIG plant, so you have something to prepare for. Very good snap pea .

This is a Mr. Big I am trialing this year. Still a couple of weeks away. Big pods on a small plant, but they take a long time to fill. Have to use some that patience, I warned you about "wgnkiwi".

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

LOL - I;m trying but its hard.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The Mr. Big is now ready to pick. Notice the size contrast with Willet Wonder.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Mr Big REALLY is BIG! Amazing what plants can do, even in drought conditions. They'll be some good eatin'.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow! Mr. Big almost looks like his cousin the Fava in that photo.

Columbus, GA(Zone 5b)

here is a picture of my peas, they actually sirvived the two deep cold freezes in April. I just planted another batch last week, then another bunch this week. This is my second year of growing peas still have not figured otu how many to plant, I have I think 25 plants currently, busting out in a beautiful pea pod. Yes, I need to weed, but diffcult with the thunderstorms we have been hvaing th epast two weeks. hehe these are sugar snap, I have some other varieties i plant along the fence line. OUrs hardly ever make it out of the garden. I have yet to tell my 4 year old we have pea pods, cause the kid eats them right off the bush. Had 40 plants last year and not a single pod made it indoors

well i guess html doe snot work so just attaching a slide link

http://www.slide.com/r/O2ibJb5X4z9iaIHUFgJGXNUqwg_cG2qg

http://www.slide.com/r/O2ibJb5X4z9iaIHUFgJGXNUqwg_cG2qg

This message was edited May 8, 2007 1:27 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Great looking plants!

With the hot-cold-hot-cold-hot weather this spring, I sowed peas twice, and it was still a bust. Well, I've got about 9 pea plants now that are about 3 inches tall, but I don't expect much from them. Next year! :-)

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

I've planted 5 different kind of peas about 7 different times and I think I got only one of them right. The cold and the drought here caught most of them. I've picked quite a few but like kidn said, not many of them made it out of the garden. They're so good eating fresh.
My high hopes are for some 'little marvels' that I seem to have timed just right. They didn't get much cold damage and are now covered in blooms. If we get any rain at all they should produce really well. One odd thing I've noticed about them, is that there are like 3 blossoms on them that are a vivid purple. Every other blossom is white. Anyone know what causes that?

Here's a pic of them from last week.

Jeff

Thumbnail by jkehl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.