Fast growing vine

Kerrville, TX(Zone 8a)

Would anyone recommend a fast-growing, bloomer or non-bloomer, light-weight vine that could be planted in a pot to vine over a chainlink fence that crosses cement. I don't know if it's possible but need to give it another try as last year, I planted a passion vine and it did get started but has not been far reaching. It is about a foot tall now so have no idea what it is going to do. Any advice you may have is really appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Carol

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Carol,
Where you're located, you've many choices. For annual you have Moon Flower, Hicynth beans and tons of others. Zone 9 you may even have Thunbergia Grandiflora (blue, large flower) that may stay evergreen year round, there are others that complain that they're invasive. It's not in my zone, since I can only enjoy these flower for a short while before the frost kill them back to the ground. The annuals mentioned above, do reseed so it prove lots of work for you to keep the garden tidy. Cathedral bells, fast growing but remains small and will not provide any screen. Cardinal, annual vines that would reseed abundantly. Let's hear others input, do some research on your own before you decide? With annuals though, if you decide otherwise, you can pull them down at the end of the season, before they go to seed.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Carol,

Are you looking for an annual or a perennial?

KM

Kerrville, TX(Zone 8a)

Lily_love
Oh, my gosh -- I have seen the Thunbergia; it is absolutely beautiful and will have to try it probably in a different area as that particular side gets a torching evening sun. There is very little planted here that becomes invasive except Rueilla and dollarweed. I will definitely check out the other suggestions, too.

Wuvie, I'm not particular at all as to annual or perennial. As long as it can take the heat and actually grow if planted in a pot are about my only requirements.

Thanks to you both!
Carol

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Snail vine fits your requirements.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yeah, sounds very hot...will the pot actually be on the concrete? I'm assuming a lack of ground to plant it in is why it has to be in a pot or you would put it in the ground, huh? Snail vine is supposed to be very tolerant and grows fast.

Kerrville, TX(Zone 8a)

azreno, You are correct. It will be planted in a pot, placed on the cement for it to climb on to a portion of chainlink fencing to be used as a privacy vine. It faces due west, and the temperature here sometimes can reach 101 degrees but generally is between 92 and 98 in the peak of summer. Someone suggested snail vine. Do not know its characteristics so will study that one. Thanks to all.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Silver Lace Vine... Polygonum auberti

We get HORRID heat here and this vine grows like MAD! It is a perennial and in one season totally covered the neighbors huge pear tree so badly that she had to cut it to the ground and move it. After that abuse, the next season it took over her chain link fence and part of a crabapple planted about 15 feet away.

This is the first link i found and shows a great picture. http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/silverlace.htm

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

You should make sure to use those insulated foam pots to try and keep the roots cooler and you can mulch the top of the pot, that'll help some, too.

Kerrville, TX(Zone 8a)

tombaak, Thanks so much for the picture. It definitely won't intermingle planted in a pot, so this sounds like an excellent selection. If there are too many falling flowers, I can handle that easily. Thanks again.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Also,
Thunbergia flowers late in the season, you may consider other vines for contrast colours, and different blosoming times of the year. Just try to avoid planting annuals with this vine so you won't have the problem separate them later when one dies, and this keep on growing. I'm uncertain whether this will be evergreen in your zone though. Check with other members for more info.

Schriever, LA(Zone 9a)

Carol,

Have you considered bougainvillea? It can definitely take the heat.

Cindy

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

For a light weight vine- I would recommend coral vine- The hotter it is the better they like it. I have one growing in a fairly large pot- It has been there now for 5 years and comes back every year. It particularly suited for chain link fences. The only draw back I would point out is if you are opening the gate physically- the bees love the vine and are usually swarming. Ideal for pots and is drought tolerant.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2050/
it grows very well in our zone!
Rj

This message was edited May 2, 2007 6:53 AM

Wingate, MD(Zone 7b)

Cindy...My son gave me a bougainvilla in a pot. It has beautiful deep pink blossums. The soil in the pot looks very dry and the store where he purchased it said it prefers dry soil. How often should this plant be watered and how much water? I watered it thoughly and lost a lot of the blossums, is this normal? Thanks for any help.
Peg

Kerrville, TX(Zone 8a)

rjuddharrison,
I have had a little experience with coral vine planted in the ground, and it did fairly well but lost it years ago so that's a great thought especially since it does well potted. Have you ever heard it called Montana Rose? Thanks.

Schriever, LA(Zone 9a)

Peg,

Water until the soil is evenly moist, then allow to dry slightly between waterings. You may even see a slight wilt. It sounds like your plant was dry too long. I hope it flowers for you again.

Cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.