Nasty squirrel cocktail

Quincy, MA(Zone 6b)

We have some tricky squirrels in Quincy, Mass.

Even though I sprinkled my lily bed with chili pepper, they dug up three of the bulbs.

I planted some seedlings in my veggie patch, then sprinkled the whole patch with Tabasco-and-water. They ate two of the five seedlings.

I need a potent, non-toxic, "Squirrel Repellant" for the planting in the weeks to come. I've done some research and come up with a recipe:

Put in blender:

1 large raw onion
1 entire head garlic
1/2 cup hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup Tabasco sauce
3 T. paprika
1 cup kelp
1 quart water

Blend. then pour over newly planted seedlings.

Do you think it would work?

If it doesn't, I'll be forced to move on to Phase II: Hair clippings and pee.

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Weather! I had to print your recipe just in case it works. Sorry I can't be of help. But if I were a squirrel, I wouldn't mess with you!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd test that out on one sacrificial seedling before dousing them all. Tabasco has a lot of salt in it, as well as vinaegar. Your hot pepper sauce may include the same.
Why not just use real habaneros or cayeene chillis in the mix since you are going to be blending it anyway?

Have you tried the peppermint oil solution yet?

You might find help if you read through these threads:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/647716/

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=2816272

Longboat Key, FL

I originally lived in Quincy -- and trapped squirrels (and raccoons -- and an occasional skunk.)

Hav-a-heart traps are the best. I am now in Florida -- and caught a feisty squirrel yesterday. (They raise havoc with my figs. We play a game, waiting unntil the fig is just ripe -- then they usually beat me to it.) This was my third one this month. I transport them to a Nature Park -- three islands away. I trust that they are happy there.

Be well
:)

Longboat Key, FL

Trapped another today. Took only about five minutes after I set the trap.

I think I am winning the war. I have used peanut butter sandwiches -- but they stopped luring them in. So I noted that the little guys have been eating citrus which fell to the ground. So I visited an absent neighbor's yard, littered with dropped oranges -- and took a few. They work wonders. I snag a wire plant-tie through the skin, and tie it to the back of the cage.

When they try to drag it out -- BAM!

Hope I clean them out before the figs are ripe.

: )

Quincy, MA(Zone 6b)

The squirrels seem to be leaving my garden alone!

I used the recipe above, but substituting ceyenne pepper for the hot sauce (thanks, garden_mermaid). Using a watering can with a wide rose-sprinkler-head, I doused the plants.

The squirrels are still around, but they're not digging up the beds anymore.

I was thinking about burying a Nutter Butter, then watering it with the mixture, just to test how effective it is. But then I thought, "Do I really want to teach squirrels that if they dig in my garden, they might get a Nutter Butter?"

Willis, MI

What about something like this:

http://www.safepetproducts.com/product.asp?specific=103

I had this for my dogs and it worked well!

Longboat Key, FL

A ScareCrow seems like a bargain. They have a Special Price. It's the same as the old price (check it out) -- but you get to pay in "red" numerals.

: )

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Posted this in the Texas Forum

Purchased powdered fox urine two days ago. Sprinkled it around the trees and any other vertical supports where they go. Have not even seen one. They have destroyed the netting on my screen room, ripped my cushions for nesting material and will stand their ground when I confront them. My dogs have just given up because there are so many.
Had been told the the fox urine was very stinkie. Did not put my nose in it but I have not been bothered in the least. My husband says my olafactory is so strong he wants to take me hunting in place of a dog. So far.....success....and it has rained twice since I put it out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.