Started a few tomatoes.....

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

.....in my do-it-yourself dirtboxes, these are Wisconsin 55. I'm making 12 of these, mostly for tomatoes but a couple for cukes, summer squash, etc.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I also set out a Delicious tomato plant in a 5 gallon bucket to see how well the big indeterminate plants will do in buckets. Anyone else tried this? Pictures?

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Calais, VT

Hey Big, is that a plastic waste basket? How are you dealing with water, do you have a set up to make them 'self watering'?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

TD -
The dirtboxes are self watering to a point, you just have to keep the reservoir filled. ☺ They're 21-1/2 gallon Rubbermaid storage boxes. Their have been several different plans posted here in the past but here's a link to how I constructed mine.

http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/index.php?tabid=5723

The 5 gallon buckets just have holes drilled in the bottom and have to be watered by hand.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

big red - i ahve been growing all my vegetables in 5 gal buckets for a while now. to me, they don't grow as big as they do in the ground althogh i know some gardners who have 3 lb tomatoes from 5 gal containers. the biggest i had was 19 ounces and that ws big enough for me. i was willng to take smaller fruit in order to make it easier for me to garden from my deck.

Calais, VT

Wow, what a great set of instructions! Impressive

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Big Red,
How often do you water your buckets? I have a 3" layer of pine bark mulch in each of mine, but trying to get a handle on the watering cycle. The EBs let me know when they need watering!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

A better pic.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

gymgirl - those are beautiful looking tomato plants.. i am also trying delicious for the first time.
i water mine once a day but then again i am sure my weather is not as hot as yours. this year i will run a soaker hose through the tops of the containers and have them watered automatically.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Gymgirl,

It depends on the weather and the size of the plant. I just set this one out so I only water it every other day. I'm sure it'll need more as it gets bigger. If it feels/looks dry, water it!

Thanks, Big_Red!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.