early morning sun only - need height

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have a great spot for the right plants but need suggestions for taller plants. The area gets early morning sun and that's all. It's perfect for ferns but I also want some height. I've gotten several clematis from Debbie at Silver Star Vinery but need taller things. Trees, shrubs, etc.

The area is to the left of the steps. The clematis will have lattice to climb but the area is 6 of those panels wide - you see 2.5 panels now. So there is lots of space where height is needed. I'm not concerned with annuals, just something tall that will come back.
Kathy

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

japanese maple, pee gee hydrangea , old garden rose(some get 8-10 ft high
aspera hydrangeas get 10'

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

aspera hydrangeas get 10' - that wounds perfect. Now to find them.

Thanks! Let me know if you come up with others.
Kathy

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

hydrangeasplus.com

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

I would recommend a rugosa rose. some have a couple of flushes some are more orless continuous some very fragrant, also some set hips for winter interest, some have autumn foilage etc.
so, tall long season of interest and fragrance and it's a rose a rose that is extremely hardy and that you never spray. no muss no fuss.
example conrad ferdinand meyer-10' high, silver-pink flowers, very highly scented, good in poor soils
moje hammarberg-very fragrant,deep puplish-red double blooms followed by large red hips extremely hardy remondant 6' x 5'
scabrosa-cerise flowers hips, very fragrant 6' x 4'

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The rose sounds wonderful. The soil is very good, just so much shade. And these roses will do well in lots of shade? I'll look these up.

Thanks,
Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.