Bulb sale

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I was in Lowe's yesterday getting replacements for some things I planted before the Easter weekend freeze, and they had all their bulbs marked 50% off. They had a pretty good selection of everything.

Susan

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Are they bulbs that will still flourish if planted in this area this late in the season?

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I think so. They had cannas, dahlias, bleeding hearts, elephant ears, I don't remember what all. I took too long, so hubby had to come in and make sure I wasn't buying the store out.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Also, you may want to check out Walmart. They have all their spring planting bulbs for $1.00 a package. Some were 7.96 originally.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I wouldn't buy those, I'm thinking they won't come up. I would feel them to make sure their not all mushy.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

The ones I bought are fine. I admit I was somewhat skeptical too but I did check them out before I paid. They were solid and the bulbs were live, a creamy white color. I bought over 100 last year at a similar clearance sale. I must say I have liliums coming up everywhere.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

I bought Walmart bulbs late in the season last year. Most came up but the peonies never flowered. I just found out that peonies do poorly in our area - that's the problem with big box stores - they will sell things that won't necessarily grow where they're sold.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Peonies do great in our area (Cobb County). It takes several years for them to get big enough to bloom. Make sure you plant them in a sunny area and that the eyes are no deeper than an inch (actually planting them at ground level is good). Once planted, it is best not to move them.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info hcmcdole. I heard our County Ext. Agent saying that they are only 10 per cent successful in our area but they have reappeared this year so I'll see (planted in a semi-shade area - but I won't move them!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.