anyone growing gaura long term?

Amesbury, MA

planted two last spring and they croaked over winter. I have heard the are difficult to keep long term. Also lost two different gaillardia. Loved both these perrenials but don't want to replace them every year.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

VERY hard to overwinter. It's the winter wet that kills them. They need REAL good drainage. I have only had them return in places with the best drainage - one on a hill and one in a raised bed. Try them in pots or raised beds. They are beautiful.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I tried a couple of times & mine never lasted.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We keep pulling them out and they keep returning. They're just overpowering.

Really Pirl?! You don't like them? Please send them to me. Gaura? Gimme more-a.

I really do like them, Victor, but it's a case of right plant, wrong place. See how they take over the front of the daylily garden.

Thumbnail by pirl

Which one is that, pirl?

The oldest one (I know of) but I don't recall the name. We bought it in about '93 or '94.

Whirling Butterfly??

Yes, but don't they have names besides that one? Ours is white and after that came the pink ones. They are lovely to look at but do take up a lot of space.

I prefer the later, neater pink ones that don't flop.

Let's not get into flopping ones!

Amesbury, MA

Wow pirl, your guara blessed! (or cursed)

Thanks, nucci60. For the first month it's in bloom it's really lovely and then goes wild on me.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Pirl, You must have awesome soil. You find things invasive that behave for me AND you can't get rid of Guara! All those years of composting, no doubt.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I think it is her soil - Arlene, you've complained about other items becoming invasive . You know what they say about 'good eats'...I guess you're like a good restaurant!

Yes, some people have real problems!! See you guys when I get back from Mickeyworld. Happy gardening!

Victor

Victor - have a great time!

Anita and Dave - the area with the gaura hardly got any compost as opposed to the area with the Gooseneck Loosestrife, which behaves for me but I am ruthless with removing any that even attempt to cross the line. The area with what I'd consider the very best soil is the vegetable garden and once again the raspberries are not behaving well and have invaded. It's a day of removing them.......again. The next best area is under the old pines. That has received almost no compost since it was lush from the start and the Houttuynia grows more than the daylilies. Very annoying.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Have fun Victor - I go see Mickey in two weeks!

I can imagine - you have to stay diligent or else...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.