Florida Carnivores

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Everyone is starting to wake up! Here's some of my hooded pitcher friends. I like how you can see the old and new pitchers.

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The sundews here are so red! I can spot them so easily. I've seen some big ones, but the all of the ones I saw yesterday were teeny tiny.

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's some flowers for you.

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

And a few more flowers

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

As an added bonus, I found these Rose Pogonia orchids blooming nearby. It reinforced just how important preservation is - hooded pitcher plants, threatened orchids, and my favorite tillandsias all call this preserve home.

Thumbnail by mellielong

I love your photos! I always have! You do such a great job.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

And you know, I don't even try. It's all the camera. I guess it was worth standing in line outside Best Buy at 3:30 in the morning on the day after Thanksgiving! I finally learned how to do an extreme closeup when I took the picture of that orchid. Guess I should have read the directions, but that's no fun.

I'm buying a new camera because I couldn't figure out how to do an extreme close up on the last new camera I bought. I'm ordering the Nikon something 80 with an additional lens and I know two people who have the camera so I don't need to worry about reading all the print that normal humans can't read in those user guides.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok, I went back out today to check on my favorite plants, the hooded pitchers. I took a bunch pf photos, and Mom says this is her favorite. They caught my eye on the trail - doesn't it look like they're hugging?

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I like this photo

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Extreme close up, you can really see the spots on the back

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Why didn't you guys tell me sundews bloomed? I tugged on the flowers to make sure they were really attached to the sundews and not something else!

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Another sundew pic

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a closeup where you can see the stem of the flower coming out

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

These pitchers are still really green and haven't gotten that nice red tint to them yet. They were growing more in the shade, maybe that's why?

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

This one has that nice color that hooded pitchers usually have.

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Checking out the inside of the flower

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I also noticed that a lot of the pitchers seemed to like growing at the base of trees.

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Are those bugs on this sundew?

Thumbnail by mellielong

Hey hey hey! Great photos!

Quoting:
They caught my eye on the trail - doesn't it look like they're hugging?
Dancing the tango with the one dipping the other to the ground? Wonderful photo!
Quoting:
Why didn't you guys tell me sundews bloomed? I tugged on the flowers to make sure they were really attached to the sundews and not something else!
That was to keep you on your toes! Seriously though, nobody asked.
Quoting:
These pitchers are still really green and haven't gotten that nice red tint to them yet. They were growing more in the shade, maybe that's why?
I think you hit this one on the head. It sure does seem as if the pitchers don't develop all of their color as well when their light requirements aren't fully met.
Quoting:
Are those bugs on this sundew?
I can't see well enough to tell and I tried enlarging your photo. I suspect there probably are insects there though.

Now for your bonus question of the day. What kind of Drosera did you photograph above? I know but I'm not telling ;)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm gonna go with drosera capillaris. There are quite a few that look very similar. Here's another pic with little black spots on the sundews. Eat those bugs, eat 'em!

Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Is this some kind of carnivorous plant or just hairy grass? It caught my eye when I saw the little hairs on it.

Thumbnail by mellielong

I believe what you have may be Drosera brevifolia. While I’m certainly no expert, if you enter a google search for images I think you will notice subtle difference between the two species. Other than that, I believe brevifolia tolerates considerably dryer sites than capillaris. And, a mighty healthy and happy looking D. brevifolia I might add. The other Drosera that are indigenous to your area would be capillaris, intermedia, filiformis, and tracyi with the last two have distinctly different appearances such that you could not mistake them for the others.

The last image you posted is not any carnivorous plant with which I have any familiarity.

I went online to do a quick search for you and came up empty handed on that plant. Sort of off topic but I did find this publication that looked interesting-
http://www.floridaplants.com/CR/flwild.htm

These sites looked interesting too-
http://www.nsis.org/garden/
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/TOPIC_Native_Plants

I was just poking around to try to determine if the last plant was native or not. I suspect it is. Why, I don't know. I could be way off but maybe this is some sort of a basal rosette to Dichanthelium spp. You might want to post his photo over in the Plant Identification Forum and see if anyone can help you with this.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

See, I went to the USF plant atlas http://www.plantatlas.usf.edu/ and typed in drosera and those five you mentioned all came up. You know, if I'd looked a little closer it also says only brevifolia and capillaris grow in my county, although intermedia is in two bordering counties so there's a chance for that one. I guess I don't have the trained eye yet to tell the subtle differences between them. Well, I'm off to go for a morning walk!

I don't have the trained eye either so don't feel that bad. Neat site you found.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Get in there love bug! Get in there!!

Thumbnail by mellielong

I always get a kick out of watching bugs scrambling over minor hoods then disappearing underneath never to be seen again!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

If only they could eat all the love bugs. I'm tired of scrubbing them off my car.

In your dreams. Around here I'd like them to eat all the earwigs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.