Pony Tail Palm 'Yellow Star' (Nolina recurvata var. albomarginata)

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Pony Tail Palm 'Yellow Star'
Nolina recurvata var. albomarginata

larger seedling, southern CAlifornia

Thumbnail by palmbob
Meriden, CT

Simpley gorgous...Wish I could get one for my collection.

Virginia Beach, VA

I have the unverigated form of this plant and it has been doing quite well. This plant does not require a lot of water. As a-matter-of-fact, too much water can kill this plant. I would suggest watering once perhaps every 3 weeks in the summer and less in the winter especially if grown indoors, since during the winter, most plants do not grow much.

A little fertilizer now and then would help. This plant does not require a lot of fertililzation, and non is required in the winter months.

This plant has organ storage in it's trunk/bulbs and this is where the water is stored. A good way to test if it needs water is to press on the bulb/bulbs/trunk above the soil and if it gives a little, then it needs water. The bulbs should stay firm which means they have water in them. Most folks make the mistake of overwatering their plants.

The actual preferred look of this false palm is a fat or wide bulb, and not a trunk that grows up skinny, so restricting it in a pot until it just bursts it's way out from the wide growth and placing it in a not so large replacement will keep it growing this way. Also, do not bury the bulb/trunk under the soil. It prefers to sit on top with the roots and a small protion of the bulb just beneath the soil.

Happy Growing.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

This form of this plant (the variegated form) does not tend to form a large, wide trunk no matter how it's grown unforunately. I keep hoping it will, but so far, ground, or pot, it stays pretty unremarkable. I find the normal form grows a large bulbous trunk base no matter how it's grown, at least here in So California. Also here in So Cal, in hot summers, this plant appreciates daily water- the more the better, as long as the soil is well draining. Have grown dozens of these and tons of water (in a ground-planted plant) is not a problem, unless you are growing it in clay. In fact, the fattest, healthiest plant I have seen was in some runnoff from a washing machine at a friend's home.. .the ground never dried and that plant grew into a monster in no time. Surprisingly winters are pretty easy on this plant, too, as that is the only time it rains here in Southern California, which unfortunately corresponds with our cold weather... yet still, not seen/heard of a ground-planted plant rotting from excessive rainwater. I have never had a potted one rot, either, but I can see how that could more easily happen. Rain water does seem to be more tolerated than tap water in cold, winter weather, however. I cannot comment on this plant's care indoors as I have never tried that.

Virginia Beach, VA

I would have to agree with you on that one. I live in a temperate climate in Virginia and am keeping the plant in a pot in the house. I am sure if left outside in full sun, I would not have the problems I previously described. My mom had one she watered quite a bit in the house, and I cautioned her on her regimen, which she did not change, and so the plant rotted. It was the unverigated form.

I would assume that plant care will vary based on where you live and your cultural situation.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I bought 2. the one indoors died, and quickly. the one planted inground, part-sun, average moisture is doing very well. It is a little over 1 ft tall. I guess they are slow growers? I wish they looked like the regular green with is lovely fat base.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

They do appear to be a bit slower growing, but not much. Mine is growing about as fast as the 'normal' green variety, but just upright, not out.

Virginia Beach, VA

I think they grow out (fat) at the base when they are contained in a very small planter which forces them to grow that way.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Have you seen a variegated plant with a fat base?

Virginia Beach, VA

I have not seen the verigated one at all in my area. However, if it is from the same family of plants, I would assume that if you place the plant in a tight fitting planter, the bulb or base of the plant would grow out fat.

Many people find great character in this by allowing the trunk to grow out fat. I have seen it grown both ways and I prefer the fatness of the base which gives it an unusual look of a Bonsai.

Nolina, pronounced NO-lee-na or Beaucarnea recurvata, pronounced bow-CAR-nee-a. Its common names are ponytail plant or elephants foot. Is is also related to the yukka.

I do however like the varigation of your plant as opposed to the plain variety of the one I have. Mine is growing in a 6 inch shallow pot with 3 fat bulbs bunched together in gravel and soil.

hmmm. what about one planted inground? The common green has a fat base when planted inground, without the constraint of a tight pot. I would wonder why a container would make a diff.

Virginia Beach, VA

I am thinking that since it has no room...it grows fat...outward instead of up...you train it to grow that way...from what I have been told by others who have grown it in pots.

However... since I have only grown this plant indoors...I cannot say what it will do outside. It would not be confined outside in the open.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Well, from personal experience with 'regular' Beaucarneas, all form a fat, 'elephant' foot whether in pot or not, though those in ground grow a lot faster in a hurry. Never noticed potting having anything other than restrictive influence on growth of this species. The variegated forms are from tissue culture, and may not have the same growth tendencies. So far as I know, no really large ones exist yet, but the ones I have seen/heard about so far have not been too prone to grow a fat foot like their non-variegated counterparts, either growing in a pot or in the ground. So it may turn out these just don't do it. I guess in the next 3-5 years we will know for sure.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2007 12:33 PM

Virginia Beach, VA

Makes sense Bob...

I just had to borrow this pic from equilibrium. She was posting over in the plumeria forum and I found this. This particular plant is 20+ years, but look at the base! So I guess it's just slower to develop that beautiful feature.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4010336

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

your link just sends me back to this page

I have asked Equil. to post here pic here. Hopefully we'll have it tonight. It is something else!

Here ya go-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

The base-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Note the five distinct bands appearing in the leaves which differs from the plant in the first image which only has three-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

That is a great plant! Where is that?

see I told you! lol. I believe Equil's friend grows this in IL somewhere.

Virginia Beach, VA

Vossner...that is exactly the feature I was talking about!...This is the feature that is preferred from what I have read. I will post a picture maybe tonight of my much younger plant. I do not think it takes long to get it fat. Mine is the plain unverigated version and it is a baby...I have 3 bulbs forced in the same pot and they are all very fat.

This is a gorgeous monster and yes yes...to everything about it!

Virginia Beach, VA

Logically...I think if you force these ponytail palms to grow in a restricted pot...you will get the fat base...as you will see when I post my pic. Mine is in a 6 inch squat shallow pot.

Quoting:
That is a great plant! Where is that?
Believe it or not I know how to get to him and his wife but I don't have his physical address any longer. I'm going to be going back for a visit again real soon and I can take note of the street address and name. The town is Tinley Park Illinois. I've got his personal e-mail address and his home phone number but the other thread had his business number. I'm sure he'd enjoy a visit from you. If you think that five banded palm is awesome, you really do need to stop in for a visit because he's got some really incredible plants imported from Madagascar as well as other countries that would knock you out of your socks.

Incidentally, that five banded plant is one of only a four or five known to exist in the world. You and him both have good taste palmbob! He's got a penchant for the rare and unusual as well as for tropical. You should have seen some of the free seedlings in one gallon pots he set aside for me to take home to send to two DG members and to give to a neighbor.

Virginia Beach, VA

Ok...here is my non-verigated 3 fat bulbs in a 6 inch pot.

Thumbnail by Sparks747

If you don't mind my asking, why haven't you separated them into individual pots?

hmmmm. I've never seen a pony tail palm w/ a green base. Your pic reminds me of a pregnant onion, not PT palm.

Saaaaaaay whaaaaaaaaaaat!

You callin my friend's pride and joy a green pregnant onion?

The be fightin words woman!

Seriously, do you think that may have something to do with the high humidity conditions present in that particular greenhouse? It didn't appear to interfere with the plant's health but what do I know, I don't even own a palm.

I am talking about the last pic that Sparks747 posted. Not yours Equil, my all green ponytail plant also tends to get moss(?) at the base.

Back to Sparks pic, maybe not a pregnant onion, but in any case, doesn't look like the base of any PT palm I've ever seen.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2007 9:08 PM

Much better, much better! Tee he.

Maybe her palms are disfigured because they are competing in the same pot?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

out of focus so hard to tell, but could be Beaucarneas

Virginia Beach, VA

Guys guys...this is a ponytail palm trust me...I got it not too long ago and it was potted-up this way...not my fault at all...I just have not thought to seperate it yet... it just looks pretty good the way it is... to me anyway...I have had pregnant onions and I am not a fan...I know what they are and this is a ponytail palm.

Now this one has been getting moss at the base for whatever reason...my humidity has been at 50%...I keep it near my orchids which require a higher humidity...maybe that is why the moss is growing. I should have backed-up off my subject a little more to get better focus. Sorry about the picture.

I do not believe they are disfigured at all...my belief is this is the way this one is deciding to grow...they are all bunched in there together...think for a moment a bonsai...would you call it disfigured? It is being forced to grow unaturally in a small pot. If I put this one in the ground... then perhps it would not be fat at the base. I am not sure...just taking a guess...

Virginia Beach, VA

P.S. thanks Equil...your explaination is pretty much what I was thinking...your compassion for my pony tail palm is touching...lol...I was about to cry before you came to my rescue... :)...pregnant onion...nonsense...I resently threw those things out because I did not like them...at all...lol...

I wonder how strange we would look if we were raised in a 6 inch pot with 2 other people...probably the way my pony tail palm looks...lol...

You're welcome Sparks, anything to protect your palm growing honor! And besides which, I'm a really compassionate person ;)

Personally, I don't have a problem with the way your palms look all scrunched together in that little 6" pot screaming out to their new momma (oops if you are their new poppa) for their fair share of fertilizer although I know some folk like everything just so (secretly dialing the palm abuse hotline).

well, pardon my "nonsense" I won't say another word. I thought Equil's pics were phenomenal and would enhance the discussion. But if nonsense or mistakes are not allowed, I certainly understand and will back off.

ta ta

Virginia Beach, VA

Voss, those pics from Equi are the most phenom I have seen in a plant like this...and did enhance the discussion. It is simply awesome... I assumed you were speaking of my little 3 pony tail palms mashed in that 6 inch pot that Equil is calling out the palm abuse hotline to report...lol...com'on...everyone is allowed their opinion...not a problem...but those are pony tail palms all together in that pot I purchased this summer...for sure...

I am quite certain that there are variations to every plant that most of us plantfreaks have not seen...but that does not mean they do not exist...they just found some rare orchid in Hanoi Vietnam.

Here is the link to that story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070926/ap_on_sc/vietnam_new_species_1

***disclaimer***
The five banded palm photographed does not belong to me. I do not own it and I did not grow it. If I was the one who owned it I can assure you a phone call to the palm abuse hotline couldn't even save it as it would be long dead by now. That plant is the proud baby of this little sweetie pie man who owns Ted's Nursery in Tinley Park Illinois-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Virginia Beach, VA

Wow! Awesome!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

You should add the photo to the plant files. That is a great shot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.