To tie or not to tie... that is the question!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay, I'm a total newbie to both gardening and Clematis. I just planted my first garden at our new house this Spring and I'm trying to make sure I do all the right things. Despite reading that Clematis can be difficult, I decided to give it a shot and put a couple of them in our yard (zone 9a). I got them from Bluestone Perennials, and although small, they seem quite healthy.

What I got was Claire de Lune, which is for partial shade, which is exactly what they have. I put a metal trellis behind them, but then covered the trellis with trellis netting, after reading that Clematis had teeny tiny little tendrils to climb with and that most regular trellis' are too fat for them to grab onto. So, they have support ready and waiting.

The question I have is whether I really need to tie the plants to the trellis / netting or not. They are quite small still, and I just go out there and tuck the the little vine around the netting every so often. Some places I'm reading state the tying is necessary. Other places don't mention it.

Should I tie the plant, or should just tucking and twining by hand be sufficient? Thanks for your help!

Oh, and any other tips for a total newbie would be greatly appreciated as well!

Hereford, TX(Zone 7a)

I never tie mine. They just latch on and do it themselves.

Darin

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The only ones you have to tie are the herbacious ones like Durandii or Rooguchi. Clare de Lune looks as if it's not so will not need to be tied. I don't have netting on mine and they do just fine.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

somewhere I read that when clematis grow they spiral, so they wrap themselves around a trellis, roses is the ones you have to peg

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Right, you do have to peg roses, but not clematis. I have a couple of mine on pillars with the metal quite far apart and they do very well.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks everyone. That's what I thought but I figured I'd ask the experts!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

digigirl: Don't worry about tying them them up the first year unless they grow very rapidly and get long vines. The 1st year you need to concentrate on developing their root system. That is the most important thing. Sprinkle some bone meal in the soil and keep their soil moist. That is critical!!! They can dry out very quickly and you might end up watering them several times a day. Also, try shading the roots with a brick, large stone or mulch to keep their "feet in the shade".

For future reference, it is best to grow these babies in a 1 gallon container with well amended soil for at least 6mos, sometimes longer. Then you can plant them in your garden and now that they will survive.

Also, you live in a very hot zone, I would personally plant them in your garden in the Fall when the temperatures are cooler and moisture is more abundant. I'm not trying to pick on you, but I've learned through "the Clematis school of hard knocks". That's just my 2 cents worth.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2007 12:01 PM

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

"For future reference, it is best to grow these babies in a 1 gallon container with well amended soil for at least 6mos, sometimes longer. Then you can plant them in your garden and now that they will survive."
Shirley has given you some very sage advice!!..Little clematis should be potted up and when you see the roots coming out of the bottom of the pot..then you know they are big enough to go directly in your garden...Have you seen those itty bitty clematis at Lowe's in the small orange pots??..I "have" planted those directly in my gardens BUT, I was religious about making sure they stayed moist and did survive...so, since you have planted them..please keep them moist...I just live North of ya on Lake Conroe..so hey neighbor..LOL..Jeanne

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks y'all! Yeah, I figured out about the pot thing after reading some of your posts, but since they're already in the ground and seem happy enough, I'm gonna give it a shot. I check them every day to make sure they're moist enough. We get lots of rain here at this time of year, and when it hasn't rained, I'm keeping them watered. So far, so good! The bed they are in is an entirely new one, so all the plants need regular watering until they get established - so it's easy to keep up with them.

They do have mulch to keep their roots cool. Also, this particular type is a shady one, so it's in a partly shady area with speckled sun through a tree. I'll keep an eye on them, though!

I noticed that Jeanne! I was excited to see someone in this area growing Clematis, since I've seen some articles that say they can be difficult. But I figured "what the heck!" and gave it a try anyway. Hope mine get as gorgeous as yours!

Will they flower this year, do you think, or does it take a couple of years growth before they bloom? I thought I'd read that somewhere....

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I usually get a bloom here and there...and afterwards just pinch off the top to let it focus on the roots..I'm weak and just gotta see the flower bloom..LOL..I always hard prune my pruning group 2's like Claire de Lune the first season after I plant it for that reason...Here is my Claire de Lune...This one I found very slow to get established in my garden..it's still just one vine....Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Just an update -

Shirley, I went and got some bone meal this weekend and added it to the Clematis' soil. And I'm checking them every day to make sure they're moist. So far they are doing well. One of them has already climbed halfway up the trellis! It's still very much a baby, but seems happy. I'll try to remember to take a picture and upload tonight!

Jeanne - can you be more specific about that "hard prune" you mentioned for Claire de Lune? I'm new to gardening and pruning is scary! I read the instructions for Group 2, which is what Claire de Lune is, but it sounds like you're saying it can benefit from more after the first year. Can you give me some details?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

digi girl...you just count up from the soil to the 3rd leaf axil and prune an inch above it...Jeanne

Glad you got some bone meal for your Clematis. Just scratch it lightly into the soil surrounding the Clematis roots. They'll find it and love you for it!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a pic so you can see how they're doing. Should I be pinching them back?

Thumbnail by digigirl
No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

digigirl, thanks for asking these questions. I'm new to clematis, too, and also live in a hot climate. Mine are in more sun, but they are type 3s, so I'm hoping they will do OK.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I would let it bloom first ...did you fertilize yet?..Kaperc...I think the viticellas/hard prune 3's seem to be able to take more sun in our hotter zones than the 2's..just make sure and keep them moist or you'll see the leaves go brown in summer...Jeanne

digigirl: Your Clematis looks great! Pinch after blooming as Jeanne suggests. Do you have it growing on a trellis and then stretched netting across it? Which Clematis are you showing us?

kaperc: Type 3's are troopers! They can with stand a lot of heat & sun. As mentioned above, just keep their roots moist and their "heads" in the sun. Looking forward to seeing your blooms!

At the rate they are going, it won't be long. I planted a Betty Corning last year and it has just started blooming and growing like mad. DH just put a trellis up, so it has lots of room to roam.

The two new ones I got from SilverStarVinery - Alba Luxurians and Etoile Rose - are growing like crazy, too, and I only planted them a few weeks ago. Alba is in a large pot because I wasn't sure about the best location.

When you say wait until they bloom to pinch back, do you mean until the bloom is finished, or just until the plant gets started blooming?
I assume this will promote more vines to start from the base, right?

kaperc: 'Betty Corning' is a beauty and I'm glad to hear that that your DH just put up a trellis for her because she is a BIG girl! So good that she has LOTS of room to roam!!

Don't prune until AFTER the Clematis is done blooming, otherwise you are sacrificing some of the flowers! 'Betty Corning' is a type 3 or group C Clematis. So a hard pruning is done in late Fall. Yes, pruning encourages the Clematis to produce more vines which ultimately will give you more and more flowers!

Ah, I was reading 'pinching back' as different from pruning - not so?

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Jeanne - no, I haven't fertilized. Is there something you recommend? I have some organic flower food, but I'm good with picking up something specific for Clematis. How often should I be fertilizing?

Shirley - The pic is of Claire de Lune. Yes, I covered the trellis with netting to give the vine plenty of things to hold onto. Seems to be working like a charm. However, the trellis is only about 5 feet tall and the vine is already 3/4 of the way up it, so we're going to attach some netting from the trellis to the eave of the house to give it some additional climbing room.

I haven't even gotten a flower yet, and I can feel the addiction coming on! Eek!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You fertilize with either Rose fertilizer or tomato fertilizer in late winter/early spring..same time you prune your pruning group 3s..NEVER fertilize once it starts setting flowerbuds or you'll just rush the bloom period..and then fertilize again after it finishes blooming....Jeanne

"Claire de Lune" is a beauty! http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/122508/index.html She'll probably get a little bit taller, but she probably won't quite reach the eave of your house. Now, a Montana will be reaching for your chimney and then some!

No cure for Clematis addiction except for acquiring more & more varieties. If you think you'll run out of space in your garden, now they have a "patio collection" which is perfect for growing in large containers. Sorry....that was no help! :~0

kaperc: I like to grow my Clematis in large containers and then decide once they flower where they will grow in my garden. Plus, I wait to plant them out in the garden because we have more reliable moisture & cooler temps in the Fall. I've lost too many Clematis by planting them in the Spring, which then turned into instant Summer with high temps and watering restrictions in my area. I now have learned to wait (trying to become more patient) as my garden matures.

I don't "pinch" Clematis because I enjoy their beautiful seed heads, which is another interesting attribute. Rather I prune AFTER they have finished blooming, so I don't cut their bloom cycle short. Hope this helps.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

"No cure for Clematis addiction except for acquiring more & more varieties. If you think you'll run out of space in your garden, now they have a "patio collection" which is perfect for growing in large containers. Sorry....that was no help! :~0"

Enabler! ;)

This message was edited May 4, 2007 12:34 PM

Yes, I know.....I've been called that before! :~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.