question about Sluggo - iron phosphate

Beachwood, OH

I bought a product from Gardener's Supply that is the same as Sluggo - its iron phosphate.
Is it toxic for salamanders? Does anybody know if there is any toxicity to any animal if it is not ingested?
They don't have a data alike this on these products, it just says the slugs will die 3-6 days after eating the bait.
Obviously I want to kill slugs, but I have lots of salamanders - esp this time of year. What happens to them if they crawl across this stuff?
Thanks for any information
A

Calais, VT

I am intersted too, but don't have any idea, I got the same stuff. Maybe GS would have an answer?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Write to their customer service department - they're the best people ever and will respond.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Or you could try Garden's Alive for info. Their Escar-Go is basically the same thing.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I know Sluggo is supposed to be non toxic to pets and wildlife, which is why I use it (though I still kind of put it in areas that my dogs aren't likely to go). Hopefully the company of your product can give you answers on the Salamanders. I will say that that stuff did a great job keeping my hostas looking good last year- and my yard is slug city.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2007 11:49 AM

From what I've heard on radio about any slug product - try and get the April-May production of slugs and it will make for a much easier summer. Getting that first generation of slugs killed off is the key.

Pirl, that's what I did last year after we had some heavy rains that really brought out those nasties. I went around an manually killed a lot (yuck), in addition to putting down sluggo, and I think it made a huge difference.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Noreaster, I was reading yesterday about Diatomaceous earth. It said that it is TOTALLY safe for pets and people. One of the things that it is good for is slugs. You should checkit out. http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html?gclid=CImTzrjC44sCFQstWAodM0N-VA
Chuck

This message was edited Apr 27, 2007 2:18 PM

Some people put out boards at night to attract them and then do the clean up every morning. Not a good thought following breakfast!

No, it's not. They really gross me out, but I've learned to deal because nothing makes you madder than coming out in the morning and seeing big fat holes in your hostas! I've also comitted myself to only buying thicker leaved varities from here on, too. We have a wooden deck that is raised up about a foot or so off the ground, and I think the underside of that is a major hangout for them, so I throw handfuls of Sluggo under there, for sure.

Thanks, dogwalker, I'll look into that. It says it deals with earwigs, too, and that's another creepy crawlie that I could do without! Saw a lot of those last year.

I have slugs and earwigs, too. The damage that the earwigs do to clematis is also a heartbreaker. We searched locally for the Bayer granules but they're just not in all the stores yet (or any of the stores yet). That would control earwigs and many others but not the slugs.

I saw the earwigs a lot in the daylilies, and also in my containers. Something ate my coleus so bad that it was like swiss cheese...was wondering if that was being caused by earwigs as well. Not sure I'll try coleus again this year, because I don't know what was getting it so bad. With two nosey dogs, I have to be really careful about what pesticides I use.

Yes, the earwigs love the coleus, too. We have a dog, too, so I know how you feel.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

If the iron phosphate is as safe for your salamanders as it is for my cats, I think you will find it more effective than Diatomacios Earth. DE is a good barrier that slugs can't survive crawling over, but not as effective in my opinion.

Beachwood, OH

So sorry I didn't get back to the list right away. I got a reply from the manufacturer of Sluggo that it is totally non-toxic to salamanders, and everything else except slugs when they eat it. I didn't ask about earwigs so don't know. Since my biggest earwig problem is dahlias that of course I am cutting for the house I'd be glad if they croaked also. I applied very heavily in my worst bed and hope that takes care of them. Of course that also means I won't have my fun little toads and frogs in that bed either, but hopefully they can find plenty of slug munchies in the woods.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Now is the time the use Sluggo? My hostas are just emerging.

YES. The first generation of slugs each spring is the one to aim for since we never get every one of them but it will lessen the summer attacks.

Calais, VT

I am on my way out to the garden right now! Sluggo jug in hand! I had a very bad year last year for slugs. The fancy traps are not worth the money, IMO, that is!

I spread the first bag yesterday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.