What's wrong with my plants?

Romeoville, IL(Zone 5b)

I have decided to put my jalapenos & sweet peepers out this weekend. They are pretty good size 6" - 8". They all look great with shiny green leaves, and they seem strong. When I put them out they seem to have taken on a grayish hue to the leaves and some have gotten limp and lost they're shine. I did not harden them off. It's been in the upper 70's and low 80's. Does anyone know did I make a mistake because too much sun at once? Or could this be something else?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You need to harden seedlings off, and also adjust them to full sun gradually, otherwise this is what will happen. My guess is your nights outside are much colder than whatever they were used to indoors or in a greenhouse so you need to get them used to that gradually, and no matter how much artificial light (or sun shining through a window) you had for them indoors, the intensity of real sunlight is still much more than that so you need to work them up to it gradually. If they've only been out for a day it may not be too late to save them, but you need to bring them back in out of the sun and the cold and adjust them to both of those gradually.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.