compost

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

I just found a really large ant colony in a compost pile(horse manure only) that wasn't there 2 or 3 days ago, I haven't put anything in the compost and can't figure why they're there, should I be worried about them migrating to any nearby compost piles and how should I get rid of them? ant poison? some type of spray?
this is the 3rd time I've had this problem,and I refuse to abandon another compost pile

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Plant mint around your compost pile and the ants will go somewhere else.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You can also add some dried molasses to your pile. Make sure you're turning it often enough, watering it enough, and that it's getting enough air circulation.

Stephanie

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Tansy repels ants, as well.

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

thanks for all the ideas,I really like mint anyway so I think I'll try that first

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would plant the mint in pots, otherwise it'll take over the world!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Mint is only invasive if you allow it to be. I've grown mints directly in the soil and never had them get out of hand. You need to give them obedience training on a regular basis. When the trailer heads out of the mint's designated area, be sure to pull it back, roots and all, to its assigned space, then cut it off at the base. Many of the mints will form something of a thatch by the end of the year. I lift mine in the fall, de-thatch them, then plant the strongest roots back in their place. I've been growing a number of mints and their relatives this way for decades and they've never formed an army.

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10a)

I find an ant colony everytime I turn my compost pile. They are usually the extra big red and black ones. I dont know why they want to be there considering they get turned upside down everymonth or so. They dont seem to be that aggressive and I havent been bit. So I just ignore them and figure that they are helping with the breakdown of matter withing the pile. If one gets on my leg, I brush it off.

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

Funny thing... I turned the pile two or three times in a week or so and they moved on to greener uhmmmm more stable pastures LOL
anyway my only concern was putting compost on my plants and the ants taking over the plants. I obviously need to water/turn my compost on a more regular schedule

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.