First Earthbox and some questions?

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon from the Midwest;
I just bought my first EB from Breezy Hill Nursery..and have also got a few bags of seeds..I have some Super Sugar Snap Peas,Sugar Baby Watermelon and Muncher-Burpless Cucumbers..
Q1.Is it to early to plant these seeds?
Q2.can these be planted together in the EB?
Q3.How many seeds do I need to use for each?
Q4.Can I also plant some tomatoes and corn with these?
Thanks,Lisa

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

I look forward to the answer you get because I finally ordered mine today. I got 10 of them, but here's the weird thing. I got a flyer with my Dixondale order and it gave me a special dixondale code to get a discount on 10 EB's for 375.00. When I went on line to buy them, the price was cheaper at 325.00?!?!?!? So I called the 800 number and yes, someone was there on Sunday after 5:00 p.m. and I explained the situation. The guy said he couldn't explain the difference in price, he also did not have any interest in finding out from any co-workers about the pricing discrepancies and he basically told me to run along and order it on line if I could get it there cheaper. Weird huh? So, I am still curious why Dixondale would team up with EB and charge customers 50.00 extra. I ended up getting the ones with the soil, fertilizer, etc. because I just want to set em up and plant. Like you, I hope to hear how others fill theirs.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Go to the link below. Just remember this - use potting MIX, not potting soil in your EBs. And make sure you put the "up" side of the cover (white side vs. black side) that is recommended for your particular part of the country, BEFORE you plant your seedlings. Turning the cover over AFTER you've sunk you plants in is a BEAR! (ask me how I know this....)

Godspeed and good harvest!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/530600/

This message was edited Apr 23, 2007 3:51 PM

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Any good quality potting mix (I use MG, just because that's what I can FIND in my neck of the woods) works well, a little over 2cu ft per EB. If your planting tomato's you'll also need to add 2 cups of Dolomite lime. I use a 8-8-8 dry fertilizer but I think you can use anything that's under 15-15-15, you'll need two cups per EB.

A little hint I've learned is I add a length of PVC to my watering pipe for my tomato plants while they are still young because when they bush out it makes finding the pipe easier during watering. Also saves me having to stay bent over during watering. Also to mound you mix at the top, this allows water to run off and not to pool on your cover and run into the holes, seeping into your mix.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

lafko, the EB's are often available through the National Gardening (NGA) site and the price is usually higher than going direct. Sort of a resale feature where a second profit is taken.

Yuska

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.