Nasturtium?

Lebanon, PA

Has anyone had experience with these? I'd like to put them into my garden box. Do they do well in this area? And are they easy to come by? Thanks for answers. :)

Thumbnail by LupineGrace
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

They do well here. They are related to the tobacco plant and are pretty easy annuals to care for. They are available in nurseries here. You could also use seeds.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Dave is right. If you plant seeds please soak them overnight and plant directly where you want them to grow. I don't know if they can be planted this early. I did mine, last year, in June.

Lebanon, PA

Thank you both! I'll check out my local nursery for some seeds.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Look for 'Alaska' - the photo will be on the package. It's grand. You can Google it, too.

Le Roy, NY(Zone 5a)

I have planted them for a couple of years now. What I have found is that they like the morning sun, but not the afternoon. They will flourish and grow over any walkway you plant them near. Watch for bugs, they will eat to the root. Tea is a good pest repellant if you have pets and little children.

They are also edible (watch for Martha Stewarts cake decorating....no comments on the polical scene pls...lol) so you dont have to worry about all your little ones, human or otherwise.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Love Nasturtium. I just plant the seeds right into the soil or potting mix. I've had better results starting seeds in pots than direct seeding. Never soaked my seeds and they germinated just fine. They come in red, orange, yellow, etc. They're supposed to be a good companion for cucumber and squash plants, if you go for companion planting. They sure do look pretty among the vines. They are considered a trap plant for aphids. The aphids go for the Nasturtium and leave the rest of the plants alone. I have experienced this myself.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.