Mulching help needed

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

Good day friends!!
I have built my mulcher and it does not perform the way I need it too. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type to purchase for home use? Realising that I have to buy one in the US and have it shipped to the Cayman Islands. Soil is non existant here and I am trying to compost to make soil, or enrich the ground here. I have access to lots of brown and green materials to add to the mix, just a real shortage of soil, dirt, to make it happen.

Thanks for the advise,

john

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

John: I love Cayman!!! Been there about a dozen times.

I never add soil to my compost. I just add greens and browns and it becomes compost. Granted, mine is sitting on top of soil, but I don't see why the same would not happen on top of sand. Have you tried? Turned and aerated? Kept moist? That's all I do. I would imagine that you could turn around materials much faster in your wonderful year round warm climate. It should rot quickly and that's all compost involves. My compost is frozen for months of the year.

I'm jealous. Want to trade places?

Karen

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

Thanks for the reply Karen. I will try it and see what happens. I am a beginner to this and thought that I needed to layer my browns, greens, then dirt, and repeat the layers......I have been mixing horse manure with sand and using that to supplement the rocky dirt I dig up from here and there...This mix has worked well when planting, as I have put over 100 plants in the yard. Is there a concern with odor? I figured if I cover it with sand/dirt, it will help minimize odor....

Thanks for the advise, are you planning a trip back here anytime soon?

Aurabest,
john

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Just keep the mulch away from the plant stems and you'll be golden! The worms should do a lot of the work for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.