Damaged plants

RICHMOND, VA(Zone 7b)

I have 25 or so Hydrangea plants that were flourishing in our warm weather the end of March - is it our cold, rainy weather that has caused them all to suffer damage? I fertilized them lightly w/ Plantone at that time - could I have overstimulated them too early? They appear to be coming back, but it hurts to see them appearing burnt after they were so fresh looking.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Were you a victim of the freezing temps that hit a lot of the eastern part of the country? If you were that's undoubtedly what happened, new tender growth is going to be extra susceptible to damage in conditions like that. I don't think you overstimulated them too early, that cold spell came unusually late in the year so in a normal year it wouldn't have been a problem. So I wouldn't worry about them too much especially if they're already coming back, once you've got good strong new growth clip out any branches that appear dead.

RICHMOND, VA(Zone 7b)

Well, we had a 24 degree nite after April 1; and then the nor'eastr with so much wind and rain last week, but not below 4o; it's just sad to see them blighted. But everything is flourishing as spring hits us this weekend

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

A 24 degree night with new tender growth could definitely cause some damage.

RICHMOND, VA(Zone 7b)

well, we'll blame that for the damage then!
Another question - their roots are raised up and exposed even tho I add compost/mulch around them when I see they are heaving - could it be too dry or too wet?

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

you said you had a lot of wind and rain, if the roots are showing I would just sprinkle
some soil on the roots and make sure they are firm in the ground and not too loose.
pat the soil down firmly with your hands. good luck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.