Can anyone ID this beauty please?... Mike???

Yorkshire,

We have this fabulous Clematis flowering at work and I really would like to know what it is...just in case I do get the urge to buy one at the Harrogate Spring Flower show on Thursday??
Mike....where are you?? If anyone can help ID it it could be you? Also want to know if it's easy to grow from cuttings?
It is evergreen (I believe) and perfumed.
Thanks for any help.

Terri

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Terri, C amandii is evergreen and scented, there are different forms. It is also an early flowering type. The leaves are long, simple and quite glossy, I had one which I picked up for £1 no label, but it isn't in the best of places and seems to have disappeared.

http://clematischoice.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=80_81&gclid=CICI24WO1IsCFRJUEAodyBx2Vw

Spell that with an 'r' C armandii, it is a little tender too.

Here's a better pic

http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=11367

I just read on the last site they said it's the only fragrant Clematis, rubbish!

I have C flammula and it flowers forever but a little later, it's robust and is highly scented, a very nice scent too! It starts I think in early June and flowers through August, it regrows from the ground so needs to be cut back completely. Mine made so many stems last year it got too heavy and strong winds blew it to the ground, but it took a rose branch it was using for support with it!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Yorkshire,

Thanks Wallaby! I think the one I posted a pic of might well be Armandii then, it looks very like it from the picture on the website link. Thank you for that.
I just love your photograph and those two Clematis go so well together. They are quite spectacular. I've already written C. Flammula down to look out for at Harrogate (even though I won't be buying any plants this time, LOL)
I say that every time I visit a garden centre or show nowdays...so many plants, so little space. :o)

Terri

C armandii is the one everyone sells, Appleblossom seems to be the one I see. Mine never got above 3 feet tall with one stem! The winters rendered that to the ground.

I've heard the "even though I won't be buying any plants this time" story before!

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

It looks like a C. Armandii to me too. I have found them difficult to keep here, but my friend who is definately not a gardener has one growing vigorously against her house wall on a windy corner out of the sun for most of the day. It looked a bit straggly so she cut it down and it came back again as good as ever.

I've got one of the early flowering deciduous ones with buds almost opening. It is a rich pink with a wine coloured tinge to the leaves and that has a gorgeous perfume. I think the variety is called Marjorie.

So that is a clematis on your list for starters Terri!

Yorkshire,

Thanks Patbarr!!
Now Marjorie is added to the list of plants to look out for (but not to buy!!). Sounds absolutely gorgeous too. I can imagine us coming back with a car full of plants we didn't mean to buy................again!! LOL
This kind of temptation is my favourite :o)

Terri, I've just checked what Clematis montana Marjorie looks like and it isn't anything like the one I have. I know that was what the label said, but mine looks more like Pink Perfection. I wouldn't want you to get the wrong one. Pink perfection is perfumed.

I'm just compiling my shopping list for Harrogate.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I love the look of the fallen clematis together with the rose! What a lovely waterfall of flowers, Wallaby!

Yorkshire,

Ok Patbarr, I'll check out Pink Perfection too. I have an empty space just waiting for a new Clematis...maybe even 2, wallaby's beautiful picture of those 2 together has inspired me, LOL
We've decided to go to Harrogate on Friday too. I usually go with a list of what I'd really, really like to get and come home with dozens of things that aren't on the list (and usually nothing that IS, LOL)

The other flower is Clematis Kasmu, I got them from Robin Savill but it took a long time and a lot of force for me to get them to send them! 18 months is a little too long, 6 months stated I was prepared to wait for. And they were paid for!

If you're interested in the catalogue he offers over 800 varieties, I found the advert in a garden magazine but the address is here

http://www.howellsonclematis.co.uk/Pages/Nurseries.html the catalogue required £2 sent.

bonitin there is a rose there, behind that lot, called Crazy For You. It grows tall and acts as a support but one stem was pulled down, which didn't harm it at all!

Kasmu also flowers well for a long time, it's one of Uno Kivistik's. I seem to like any of his, I also have Juuli and Piilu.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Only just seen this thread. Has Clem armandii been in the news recently? I was asked 3 times in the same day recently, unfortunatly we have sold out.
I'm not a fan of armandii as it does have a tendancy to die off over winter. I dont think its as hardy as is made out.
There other evergreenish clems, like balerica freckles, had to shoe horn that one in because of the name. Its not anything like as showy and still dies!

I think this is what can push the price up on these types. I have seen armandii sell for £20 for a 2ld size pot on a 2ft cane.

Have fun at the show

Mike

Yorkshire,

Hi Mike! Thanks so much for your reply...so I take it I'll need to give it Winter protection then?? The one at work is in quite a sheltered area and is growing quite well. I took a few cuttings from it last Friday. Prepared and potted them the same way I do my Montana cuttings...and keeping my fingers crossed. Wow! I could become rich if they all grow for me (LOL, some hopes **grin**)
Thanks again Mike and I'll do my best to have fun at the show and not come home a penniless pauper...but I know what I'm like when let loose at these places.

Terri

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

You know i have never been to harogate flower show yet.... I have a problem with the general public! I just can't stand them! lol
I get myself around nurseries privately instead, it does amaze me that different plants and different growing techniques are used in different parts of the country/world. The guys at work are unloading my latest buying trip today.
fingers crossed its a lorry filled with large specimens of Photinia wisteria bamboos cyathea rhodo's and lots of other bits an bob's from spain and france.

I would take wallabys advice over mine as it sounds like she has had closer experience of clem armandii where as my experience is only buying and selling. I have to say if she knows a plant she REALLY knows a plant so if she can't grow them then it must be hard work.

Mike

Thumbnail by mike_freck

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mike!

Terri if you are growing from cuttings and manage to get some plants it's worth a try, but try to put them in a sheltered spot next to a house wall. If they don't live then it won't have cost you anything, the advantage is the early flowering, and scent.

They are usually around £14 when the local GC has them, too much to risk. Mine disappeared after the winter before last, the 6 months extended cold didn't suit it! I only lost £1.

Terri, perhaps you might like to look at Taylors Clematis Nursery web site before you go to the show. They usually have a stand at Harrogate and have very good quality plants. I've had quite a few from them in the past. They are based at Askern near Doncaster, but the web site says visitors are by appointment now - You could just turn up there before like a normal garden centre.

Another favourite variety of mine is Niobe which is a velvety maroon and looks gorgeous climbing through a golden leaved Cornus mas.

All this talk of clematis reminds me of a radio programme where someone was taking off Alan Tichmarsh and said "My wife is always complaining that I can never find her Clematis" ...............

Yorkshire,

Poor hubby won't know what's hit him come Friday, LOL
We already have 7 Clematis but I can always find room for another one or two. I'll certainly check out Taylors Clematis stand Patbarr. I think I have seen them there several times before.
I'd also like to find another climbing rose for the back fence. I fancy something with small pink or white flowers. Can anyone recommend one?

Wallaby, so far so good with the Clematis armandii cuttings. None have wilted so far :o) I love to grow anything from cuttings, even if I don't really have room to grow it, LOL
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Terri

I've never had much luck growing clematis from cuttings I have only ever got one to take.

Roses that I think fit your spec. are New Dawn one of my favourites with long flowering season, not too rampant, soft pink flowers and lovely scent and the other is Penny Lane which has honey coloured flowers and a good fragrance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.