Rabbit Poo

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm going to try very hard not to ask a bunch of questions that I can answer with a google search. I have been doing some research on my own but.....

I've just begun building a compost pile (which in itself is not really true. I've just begun saving scraps the last couple of months and have yet to build the actual pile) so I'm really a newbie at this. I was out tonight socially when a fellow mentioned that he raises rabbits Without missing a beat I asked "can I have some manure?" LOL I bet he thought I was a real ditz, having only met the man 15 minutes prior to my request.

Anyway he said I could most certainly have some manure and asked where I lived. I now have visions of waking up to a huge mound of bunny doo on my front lawn. I'm not sure why I felt compelled to relate that whole story when all I'm really wanting to ask is how much manure DO I want? And are there different benefits to different kinds?

Thanks in advance,
La

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Not to worry la.......lots of bunny folks get propositioned by gardeners. :)
How much do you want? How big is your yard/garden? Bunny poo is great because you can mix it right in.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for answering mermaid. :)

I garden several areas on about 1/2 acre. First I want to clarify....are you saying that I can mix the manure right into the soil, or do you mean that I can mix it right into the compost pile? In either case how much do I want to use proportion-wise?

Thanks again. I sure appreciate advice from those with experience.
La

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

You can put it right into the garden soil. It won't burn like chicken poo.

Zeppy answered your first question. As to how much to put in, well that depends on how much nitrogen you need in your soil.
The chart on page 2 of this article from the Iowa State Extension office shows the average NPK levels of various types of manures. They recommend 200 to 400 pounds of rabbit manure per 1000 sq ft of garden:

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM820.pdf

Although the article states that the high nitrogen content of bunny poo can burn if used to generously, I've never had that happen and have not heard anyone else posting of that problem either. Perhaps we never had enough of the stuff.
How many rabbits does "your fellow" have? Maybe he could give you an idea of the supply levels. :)

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Take everything he will give away. And if he uses paper pellets for the bedding, that works fantastically well to help with retaining moisture in the soil while it is breaking down. I have access to about as much as I can use (about 3 bushels a week), and I use it all -- rose garden, daylily beds, whatever.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you so much, this has all been tremendously helpful! My "fellow" (LOL @ "my fellow") has just started raising rabbits and is doing so on a pretty small scale right now. I might even be his first manure request, but in light of what you all have shared with me I'll tell him to keep it coming and make sure I stay at the top of the list as his business grows.

Thanks again,
La

Could be the start of a great friendship.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.