Corn Varieties

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I have the following corn seeds and am wondering which one I should plant for this year's crop. This is my first year, and I didn't realize how easily they cross - thought I could grow them all.

Alas, I need to make a decision...

Sugar Dots
Trinity
LoChiel
Honey & Cream

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide...

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sequee. You can plant all of them. Trinity (63 day), Honey &Cream (73 day) and Sugar Dots (83 day) are all Se bi-colors. Cross pollination is no problem. In fact you can plant all three in a block for extended harvest without the bother of succession planting. Of the three Sugar Dots is the best, but the other two are good. I think you mean Iochief an older Su yellow. Again no problem if you don't mind a few white grains on the Iochief ears. It has the more traditional corn flavor and a bad habit of poking its ear out of the shuck attracting all kinds of pests.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Excellent news! Thank you.

I did just find a brand new package of Triple Play, as well. Any info on them? (Now I'm pushing it, huh?)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep, you are pushing it. Triple play is an open pollinated very early small corn, multi-colored like an ornamental corn. Not familiar with it but doubt that it tastes much better. This one I would isolate. Maybe plant it as a fall corn. Or very early like two weeks before you plant the sweet corn.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Good idea re:planting for a fall crop - especially if it's going to be more of an ornamental than a veggie. (Of course I will HAVE TO try it!)

I'm going to skip the Lochief, too. My bugs do NOT need an engraved invitation for an invasion

Thanks again, fd - you're the best!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.