Need Advice About A New Hanging Basket ?

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I went to Lowes and purchased two rattan hanging baskets but they had a clear polyuretane or some kind of a plastic liner. According to the manufacturer no other liner is necessary but my concern is with drainage? Without drainage holes how does the water drain? Won't this cause root rot? I bought two because they fit in with my landscaping and they look real nice. What are your thoughts and has anyone used them as is?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I use planters similar to that as cache pots. I put a board or some blocks in the bottom & slip another pot into it. The boards are so the smaller container is not sitting in water after it drains.

If you use it as a stand-alone container, it should have drainage holes - especially if you'll be using it outdoors.

Al

That is what I thought as it is kind of unusual not to have any. I don't understand why they don't say so on the label as dead plants will only ruin their receptiveness.
I'm still looking for someone that has used them to find out their results???

I have used these baskets, but have taken a knife and cut several slits on the lower 1/3 for drainage. They work just fine and they last a long time. Hope that helps.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've done the same thing as Lacewing. Be sure the plastic is in the sun (or warm) before you split the plastic by knifing it several times.

Thanks for the input. I did just that this AM and put several holes at the base and the excess water did drain out slowly. You would think that the manufacturer would tell you that?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The manufacturers probably aren't gardeners. Neither are those who design these things.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.