HELP!!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Sick or injured bird...no idea what to do...large woodpecker of some sort, with red on the back of it's head and black and white wings...used to know names...not remembering at this moment...it is so pitiful..anyone have an idea?

Fort Stewart, GA

It sounds like a red bellied woodpecker. I don't have any clue what you could do personaly with the bird. If it is really injured I would call the nearest fish and wildlife office. This is the ES Office in athens number (706) 613-9493 they should be able to help or atleast point you in the right direction.

I have called Wildlife two years ago about an injured bird who had caught it's leg, and nearly cut it off in a back fence of someone behind us.
They found someone who would meet us half way, and that person in turn drove the bird to someone who has a sanctuary somewhere, and a vet with bird experience. We got a call from the sanctuary later that day saying bird was in shock but Ok. The next week saying they removed leg, no infection and that they were keeping the bird instead of releasing it to the wild because of it's leg. They were afraid he couldn't get his own food properly with it.
So somewhere, some place there are kind people who will help your feathered friend.

GGG

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the information, I have it contained, but it seems like something is wrong...it will flap it's wings, they look okay, but it is off kilter some how....when sitting she/he sways back and forth....I have called lots of numbers and so far no help...but will continue trying..I will try the number in Athens now..thanks again, and yes I think that is the type of wood pecker it is..

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Sounds like a head injury. In a woodpecker it sounds kind of wierd, but maybe flew into a window.

Lawrenceville, GA

Janet... Southern Wings Bird Club is in Gwinnett County. Google them and see what help they can offer. And bless you for trying to help the poor thing.
Judy

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, everyone, I FINALLY found a Vet that would take the poor thing. I took him/her to the Vet around five thirty this afternoon and left my name and number, so they could let me know what happens. I hope they can help the sweet little thing. It had the most beautiful face. I hope they can save it and it will heal. But it is certainly in God's hands now. I just hated to see it suffer or leave it for the Hawks or Cats to devour. Then I had no idea what I could do to help, I hate feeling so helpless....lol

I will let you all know what happens. At worst, if it wasn't well enough to survive, the Vet could make it easy on the little thing.

Here is a picture I took...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

One more, perhaps someone will be able to tell me if it is a female or male from the pictures....of course I called it Woody all day...lol

Thumbnail by JanetS
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Let us know what the vet says.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I will Deb...

Fort Stewart, GA

That would be a female.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Red-bellied_Woodpecker.html
first picture on page is male, second is female.

Let us know what happens

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, thank you Maggie. She was just beautiful. I called the Vet's office this morning, and they told me she didn't make it. She appeared to have severe brain damage according to the Doctor. I thanked them for taking her and caring for her. I kind of thought it was someting like that, maybe she hit the windshiled of a car....or a window somewhere, because of the way she was lilting back and forth when whe was still, and she couldn't grasped and hold on to a limb. Bless her tiny little heart.

Well, anyway, she wasn't lunch for a hawk. But maybe that isn't a good thing either. I never really know what I shold do in these situations.

Thanks again everyone.

Janet

Cordele, GA

I think that you have to try to help. It is good to be able to see that the death of one thing contributes to the life of another, but humans seem to be hardwired for empathy. When faced with someone or something hurting , we try to give aid.

Beth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.