How worried should I be about hawks?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm finally ordering my chicks!

I'm getting several different cresteds and different colored egg layers.

We have at least one resident hawk (hubby calls him Ethan. LOL) but there are usually 3 or so on any given day. I have just over seven acres and three sides are tree lined and full of birds. Living in the country also affords us a nice amount of carcass eaters. Ewwww. I think they are turkey vultures?

The chicks will be kept indoors until it warms up and they are bigger then I am planning to build a chicken tractor. I'd like to be able to let them get out and run around during the day. I hear horror stories about hawks. A man down the road told me a big owl swooped down, into his barn and stole a full sized one! Not much later, it came back for another and he was there waiting. The owl did not get another chicken!

Any advice?

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

They'll be safe in the tractor. I've heard good things about geese and peafowl for hawk control, but not tried them myself. A good rooster keeps an eye out, but it sounds like your area will be unusually busy, hawk-wise. Have you noticed what time of year they're usually around?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey Zeppy! Thank you for your reply. They are here year round. LOL Apparently there are lots of good moles, snakes and whatever else to eat here. We find lots of feathers back in the field.

It's not a good day for chicken ordering. I dragged my feet and most of what I want cannot be shipped until May 7th. Grrr.... I really want all females and not straight run. sniffle whine...

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I was out mowing a good part of the day and four hawks circled around waiting for me to supply them something fresh to eat. Ick!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I have geese and peacocks and I still loose birds to hawks
The only thing I have found that works is that silly mylar tape,(the shiny stuff,red on one side,silver on the other,looks like Christmas ribbon)

I had a hawk who really didn't like me,but thats another story,the DEC sent me some of that tape,hung it around the yard and the hawk was gone in 2 days

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Badseed, are you sure they were Hawks? Usually Hawks are very territorial, and you want see more than two together and they dont usually circle! Fly by , but not continual circle! Could be you have big ole black buzzards, or I guess you all call them Turkey Vultures! You dont have to worry about them Killing anything. Not to say ,that you dont have Hawks, Im sure you do, but they are sneakier than an old circling Buzzard!
Hey Crested Chick, I never thought about Mylar tape!!! Good idea! I hung a long "Chinese"dragon Kite on my old Clothes line with pins ,last year. Everytime the wind blew the "Dragon" would move and wiggle. I didnt see one Hawk the whole rest of the summer!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Eufaula!

I know for sure we have a red shouldered hawk. He is the resident, named Ethan. I have pictures of him somewhere. He is always here and he does indeed fight with other birds. We see him swoop down and pick off mice, moles, snakes....

I won't swear about what was circling yesterday. They are not as big as the buzzards/vultures-those I see eating dead animals on the road. The ones circling had black and white underneath their wings and/or gray. I'll have to get pictures.

There are some ugly pea headed birds that I think nest in a tree on one side of the property. Those could be the buzzards/vultures! I guess I have New World Vultures according to this?? http://vulturesociety.homestead.com/TVFacts.html Those are not what was circling yesterday. More about turkey vultures-says youngsters are black and silver. http://www.raptorrehab.org/new/tv.htm I guess in bright sun and only seeing them from the bottom, I could have those.

Here is a picture of Ethan. We see him year round.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is a picture of something I took in 2005 right after we moved here.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's a link to whatever those things are that nest in a tree near my barn. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/582608/

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

According to a list of native birds for Ohio, I have these large birds:
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus)
Cooper’s Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)
Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus)
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)
Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus)
Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)

After looking some of these up, the design I saw on the bottom of the birds looks a lot like this pic of the red shouldered hawk. http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/roberts_french/pcd3941_079.jpg/view.html

We have very flat, very wet (most of the year) farm land with no shortage of mice, frogs and crayfish. I've only seen a few garter snakes so far.

Well, I guess for this year, I can't be really picky about chickens and we truly want females so I think I am going to order a pullet mix, rare egg layer mix, brown egg layer mix and a few silkies (straight run) and get more picky next year. :) Surely I should get SOME hens. LOL

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Geese and roosters (I have both) do not help that much if you have a determined hawk. My geese to not give any warning cry when hawks are over head but the roosters do. Make sure your chickens have cover, such as a coop to run into or shrubs to hide under.
After 25 plus years of almost no hawk problems the last few years we have had alot of them...maybe that is because I now have white geese that get their attention more than my dark colored chickens.
I lost 3 chickens last year to hawks.
I have heard that shiny CD's, aluminum pie pans or streamers dangling from say a pole or whatever distracts them. I think non white chickens helps too. They aren't as noticable. Years ago when I had white Leghorns I noticed I had alot more loses to hawks.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

'Chelle
you have to remember thing are migrating right now
you could be in the hawk migration path
we get weird hawks in the spring and fall here
Birds that just don't belong here

We rely on the local jay population. They yell, "hawk! hawk!" and the hens dive into the shrubs or under the coop. Everyone keeps a low profile after that. But our hawks only migrate through in August/Sept.

In our first tangle with hawks, my Rhode Island Red rooster actually came out and attacked the hawk as he went for a hen. The rooster only made for cover when all the hens were safe. He was shaking like a leaf. Now we use mylar tape too.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I've never heard about the Mylar tape. Where do you buy it at? I have hawks in the area but have never had a problem with them. It can't hurt to have some on hand.
~~ Glenda

Antrim, NH

Well, we have a lot of hawks, too and I have only ever lost one ( knock on wood) to the hawks. There is flight netting you could put up, which provides cover, but is kind of expensive. It is really for keeping the girls in, but could be used to keep hawks out.

Also, ( getting up on soap box) as much as I have losing a chicken, when I lose one to the wild animals, i think about how hard they have to work to survive. An experienced predator only ever gets prey about 3/10 tries. Chickens are like little meals on legs, how can we blame them?

I think our dog's smell keeps the canine predators at bay. Plus, our coop in close to the house.

In terms of hawks, I have this vision of planting grape arbors in my chicken yard, to provide summer shading and wild grapes for the girls to eat ( plus it would be so pretty) if you have lots of plantcover, that will help.

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Well I for one do not feel sorry for hawks....they can go eat rabbits, wild birds and mice, not my chickens thank you!
I like the grape arbor idea....its got me thinking.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I love the grape Arbor idea too!!! Last year I planted gourds to grow over the chicks in there enclosed yard! we had beautiful big gourd leaves that gave them protection from the heat of the summer sun and I got gourds too! The Grape arbor though would permanent and not have to be replaced every year! Thanks for the idea BYH!!

Antrim, NH

Oh Eufaula, I think your gourd ideas is just gourd-eous!

haha.

Agree: plant cover helps immensely! My chickens have taken to dusting in the protected areas, as they can flop out and relax fully there.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I found this about hawks: http://www.webelfin.com/chickens/index.html#cocc I only pasted the hawk part.

HAWKS
I was having a lot of trouble with hawks a couple of years ago, loosing almost one grown hen a day out of 200 that I started with. The hawks seem to sit on the backs of the chickens and peck a ring of flesh around their necks and kill them. You can put netting over the chicken run to stop the hawks getting at the hens.
The other thing that happened was that just as I had almost sold all the ready-to-lay hens, the rooster that I was going to keep also matured. To start with he did nothing, then as he matured properly he figured out that the danger was coming from the sky. When an aeroplane flew overhead he screeched and all the hens dove for cover. When the sparrow flew overhead he screeched again and again all the hens dove for cover. From that time on I have had no more problem with the hawks or the sparrows or aeroplanes! The only problem was that he became so protective of the hens that even I could no longer get near them without being attacked. I put up with it for about a year because he was protecting the hens, running for my life when he came near, until a new rooster literally flew into my life. Remember that I live in the bush quite a long way from my nearest neighbour - too far for a normal hen to wander. He appeared out of nowhere at 4 o'clock in the morning, 20 feet up in a tree, crowing for all he was worth in the pitch dark. The original rooster is now in the stew pot and the new rooster is living happily with my small flock of 12 hens, protecting them from the hawk, but still allowing me near my hens.

My chicks are here!
Wow! The people are Meyer Hatchery are quick! I didn't order until after I posted on Saturday and got a call from the post office at 8:30 this morning! I ran down and got them right away and the kids were sad because they had to go to school. ;) I "should" have all females with the only questionable ones being the four silkies we ordered. Guess we'll see. LOL

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

ROTF......
they're all cockerels.....

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Stop that CC! I hope you mean the silkies. LOL

I was wrong too! We ordered 6 silkies, the rainbow pullet mix (25), 11 of the rare breed egg layer females and 11 assorted assorted brown egg layer females. Who's coming for breakfast?? See ya about ummm September? We also got four extra birds. Is that normal?

Of all the funny things, hubby bought two new cans to keep food in. When I pulled them apart, there was a meat injector between the cans. I asked him if he was trying to tell me something! LOL He did not put it there. I guess technically he is a thief that should turn himself in....ruh roh!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Shoot! I forgot to say: all are drinking, all are eating and none arrived dead!

I have one problem though. A 60 watt bulb is only keeping the box at 80 degrees. HELP!

Antrim, NH

Grab a 100 watt bulb. that will help. or you can get a heat lamp bulb at the local hardware store. I am going to use a 100 watt floodlamp when my girls come TOMMMORRROOWWW!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEW!

and yes, it is normal to have a few extras (males probably) for warmth at times, or they'll add a few extra in just in case someone kicked the bucket.

are they peeping super loud and insistantly? Like a little siren? that means they are too cold. if they are peeping a lot, but pretty quietly, they are all set. they should move around the box under and away from the lamp. if they are all huddled underneath the lamp and peeping they way i described, they are too cold. if they are staying away from the lights they are too hot. let the chicks tell you what they need :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you! That was too practical to be my first thought. LOL Hubby said the same thing. I ran down to the store and bought 75 and 100 watt bulbs since they don't need to stay that warm that long. I put the 100 watt bulb in a few minutes ago. I'll open it back up in a little bit and see if it made much difference. I have a thermometer in there. The only other bulb I had on hand is a 1500 watt street light. LOL I thought that might be overkill.

They sure are rambunctious little creatures. They jump on your hand the second you reach in. LOL The dark ones seem more aggressive and in a bigger hurry to eat than the lighter colored ones but they are all doing well. I just have to keep the kids at bay!

I snapped a pic earlier but it's not easy to photograph 55 hopping furballs!

I think it's gotten quieter in there already...

Thumbnail by Badseed
Antrim, NH

oh my lord, i'm just so jealous. they are WONDERFUL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks! They are so cute! We've figured out the six silkies already. They are smaller and have a strip of hair down their legs. LOL We've yet to figure out how many of each kind we have. Many we can tell for sure are the same ones but not all of them. Could be fun for awhile!

Them little fuzzballs! Can't wait till mine come....

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hey, kid!
You are now a full fledged farmer. Have you got your bid overalls on when you feed the chickens ? LOL!
The birds will be easy to keep away from the chickens, as long as you have wire over the top of the pen. I hate to tell you, but little 4 legged critters like chickens too. We lost all of our hens in 2 nights to a mink. They don't eat them, just kill & draw off the blood. So that means keeping all openings very small.
Good Luck & have fun with the chicks!
Bernie

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Should I be offended at the name of your hawk? LOL

I agree with Bernie, I'd be more worried about the weasels, skunks, mink, raccoons and local dogs than I would be the hawks. All of our losses have been to one of the above, we have lots of hawks flying around too, but have never seen any sitting watching the chickens.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

They sure do like to eat and drink and poop! Oh, yeah, the other reason for having them-poo. LOL

Hey Bernie! I'm getting there. We are contemplating a few little goats too I think we are still leaning toward the chicken tractor(s) for them so we can move them around and totally enclose it yet give them freedom. The whole thing would be chicken wire.

Giggling @ Melissa. Look up Ethan Hawke if you don't know who that is.

We had one loss overnight. When I got up this morning and got them fresh water and bedding, there was one dead in the box. It was one of the big plain yellow ones. :( I guess 1 out of 55 in 24 hours, is not horrible?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I just had to switch out the 100 watt bulb for a 75 watt. The temperature got up to 100. Argh! It's 58 outside so we are not running any heat or air and it's 75 inside. I'm afraid to open windows near them. I think I am going to move them out to the garage later today or tomorrow. Our lowest over the next ten days is 48 with all the other nights being mid to high 50s. I also think they need a bigger box already! I swear they have grown and some are already getting feathers on the tips of their wings.

Is it possible 95 is too warm? They seem to be more happy around 90.

And finally, I don't like it when they cuddle down and sleep. I think they are not okay. LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

If you are going to put them in your garage make a pen out of some boards. 1 foot high should work for quite a while. Then get a heat lamp & suspend off the floor. Use your hand to figure how high. Hold your hand where the chick will be, if to hot or cold adjust up or down. When it feels right to you, it will be right for them. Make the pen about 8 foot X 8 foot.
That should be big enough until they go in the tractor.
Have a great day!
Bernie

PS, a farm store will have a heat lamp. Get the 150 watt one.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

'Chelle
leave the 100 watt in
you raise the light to control the heat
you lower the heat by 5 degrees each week
you do that by raising the light
If they are huddled ,piled up under the light its too cold
if they are scattered at the edges its too hot
If they are spread out under the light(not piled up on top of each other) then its just right
they were hatched at 100 degrees
this week 90 to 95 wount hurt them

they have a pitiful churp if they are cold

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you Bernie! Y'all are gonna make a chicken farmer out of me yet. LOL

I thought I'd have to keep them warm about 7 weeks? I read to decrease the temp 5 degrees per week. When can they actually go outside? After they are feathered?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sneaked in on me CC!

I checked them again. It is back up to 95 in there and they are all spread out. Gosh! It really freaks me out when they are all laying down and quiet! When I open the lid one the one end, which moves the light, they all start yelling at me. LOL

The kids said they smell "weird". chuckle. Umm, they do! I don't think I want to find out what they'll smell like in a week or two. ahem.

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Too, too cute, Badseed! I can just hear your kids saying they smell "weird"!!!! lololol Good luck with them and keep an eye out for those nasty hawks when the time comes! Sounds like you have quite the array of winged disasters around your area!
Belinda

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I also have a resident red tail hawk who lives here year round. We put up chicken netting to cover there run. One afternoon he decided to dine on a silkie rooster, I got there in enough time to save the little guy, he was only missing a few wing feathers. I couldn't believe how huge he was when on top of the silkie. We put up the netting that evening and he circles but does not challenge the netting. I just saw him circleing yesterday.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I read that hawks can be quite nasty. I also read they lack real vocalization so you don't get much warning before they attack. Their bite is supposedly bad because they clamp down then twist so can take out a good sized chunk! Ewwww.

I think we are going to do the tractor, maybe two!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We lost one more plain yellow one this morning. :( I think my 3 year old gave it a bit of tough love last night. All in all, losing 2 out of 55 in 2 days is not awful is it? We got them really fast since they didn't come from that far away. We had no losses in transit and one the following morning.

They are eating and drinking like maniacs. I guess that could just because there are so many! I'm amazed how quickly they are growing and that they have feathers coming in already!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.