northern flicker(sapsucker)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

The other morning I was getting my son ready for school when something crashed into
the window hard . you could see it skim off the window, so I ran to the door and there laying on the bottoms step was a "Flicker". I walked down and say by him and petted his head. My son brought me the camera and I snapped this picture.
He wanted to close his eyes but I kept petting him and talking to him and kept him awake.
I went back inside and got my son ready to go.
When it was time for the bus we opened the door and the Flicker flew up into the huge pine tree!
I sure wish I would have got a pic of me holding him, but I didn't want to hurt the poor fellow!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Here he is after i petted him and talked to him about the window and the bump on his head!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Marlton, NJ

Aww poor thing. Thanks for being so nice to him; their really beautiful birds. Glad to hear he was okay. Do you have a lot of them where you live?
Nice pics.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Yes I have several kinds of woodypeckers that hang around here! I love watching them and these guys make the coolest sounds!!

Here is a Robin last week rethinking his travel plans for next spring! :)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Marlton, NJ

That one sound they make sounds very jungle like to me- love them!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I love Flickers, too, and have a lot of them around - so glad yours was okay, Notmartha, and thanks for sharing pics and story! Great photo of the tree & robin.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Should be OK . . . woodpeckers are far better equipped to withstand head impacts than most birds!!

(did you know, their brains are even mounted on springs??)

Resin

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Don't it jes break your heart .. when such happens!?!

Sure glad that s/he seemed to've re-couped quick enuff .. to fly on off after awhile, notmartha!!

And a stunning photo or two, you'd captured of the male Yellow-shafted Flicker. And am curious as to why you added 'sapsucker' to your thread title? .. (for they aren't associated).

Now don't tell me, that you didn't even try to lift one of its wings to see that absolutely beautifull yellow on the undersides?!? (There's a wee hint of the yellow visible in your second pic) Or, a view of the dark crest on the breast?!? .. If ya did, and if ya happened to have taken other photos - please consider sharing more with us .. will ya?

I certainly understand about the time limitations .. with getting a yunkin' ready for the school bus tho'. (hee)

- Magpye

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.