Help...Pink Diamond Bare Root Snapped in Half

Hudson, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi folks, can I salvage this? I ordered a Pink Diamond Tree Hydrangea and the 4 foot bare root was snapped in half during shipping. The grower is replacing it, but do you think there is a way to salvage the broken tree?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I would stick in a pot and see what happens--it may sprout from where it got broken, no guarantees but there's definitely nothing to lose by trying!

Hudson, OH(Zone 5b)

Thx! Perhaps I'll give it a try. Wonder if I could pot each half. I suppose if I pot the half with roots and no branches, I may as well pot the half with branches and no roots. Argh, I just hate to waste what should be a beautiful plant.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree with ercane - nothing to lose. If you have compost I think I'd be tempted to plant it (deeply) in a pot of compost after removing any buds that would be below the soil line.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I cut a bunch of dried hydrangea Limelight (another paniculata) flowers, on approx 12 inch stems, and sprayed them Christmas colors, and put them in the whiskey barrel outside our garage door. Each one has rooted. I guess this will be my preferred method of rooting from now on, LOL, my yards will be full of painted hydrangeas for Christmas.

This message was edited May 1, 2007 8:42 AM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That's terrific! What a fun way to root them and no worrying about if they took or not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.