Yellow squash - possible disease?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone - I am a novice veggie gardener, and this is my first time growing squash (yellow crookneck hybrid - nothin fancy!). I have six plants in an EB, and man, are they huge!! I've never actually *seen* squash's growth habits, so I'm not sure what to check for... First off they're spreading all over - a couple of the trunks are growing almost horizontally - is this normal? Also, the thickest part of the plants' trunks are a purplish color - but fades progressively greener the further the stalk gets from the soil line - is THAT normal? The plants seem quite healthy and I've got numerous little squashies & blooms on the plants.

Thanks!
Kelly

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

normal at this point.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Great!

Turlock, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Kelly, I have 6 squash in my EB too [ mix of crookneck and zucc type] , and mine are doing the same, looks great huh?! Now I'm wondering, do I get a trellis for them or let 'em sprawl....

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Nevr tried them in earth boxes, but the yellow summer squash and most of the modern zukes have big bushy plants but the trunk vine seldom exceeds 2 ft. This is the crookneck Dixie.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Zucchini "Eight Ball"

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Have I understood correctly that you both have 6 squash plants in one EB or just in EB's? Last year I planted one patty pan squash in an EB and it took up the whole thing! It got huge! So if you have them in one EB I would be curious to know how you are getting them to fit! Trellising or tying them up?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

FYI... I have 6 squash in one EB per their website's instructions! I haven't tied them up, but think that might be a good idea next time (they are really sprawling!).

I just harvested my first 3 today, and I think there may be some kind of virus after all... these are yellow crookneck hybrids, which are supposed to be smooth-skinned, correct? Well, mine have a ton of raised "wart-like" bumps all over the skin (not discolored) - decent size, no sunken "fungus-like" spots I can see, but I'm guessing those bumps are a sign that the plants are infected with something! Here's my question, though - are they still good to eat?

Kelly

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The open pollinated summer crookneck is warted. The warts are probably what makes them taste better than the smooth hybrids. If the fruits turn green or mottled green, that's the cucumber mosaic virus, unsightly but still quite edible. I have not encountered any hybrid warted yellow crooknecks, but it is possible. What is the cultivar, I want to try it. It is also possible that you have the open pollinated summer crookneck.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I really don't know the cultivar... I just picked these up at Lowes - the brand is "Bonnie's Plants" and the label just reads "summer squash, yellow crookneck." I guess I assumed it was a hybrid, since it seemed to come from a "generic" big store commercial producer... but maybe I'm wrong? There is no mottling, no discoloration - just warts! I'm glad they're edible, because I've been craving summer squash!!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep, you have the old Summer Crookneck. You might not get as many squash, but that is the best tasting of all the crooknecks in my opinion. The only time Bonnie or any other plant producer sells hybrids is on demand. Op seeds are MUCH cheaper. You make more money when you can sell OP's. If it does not specify hybrid it isn't.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Great! Yellow summer squash is one of my absolute favorite veggies... can't wait to try homegrown!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

So glad I found this thread. I have six straight neck yellow squash in an EB and wondered how they would grow. KC - yours are ahead of mine - glad you got your first harvest! How did they taste?? I've been trying to visualize how much of my yard the EB squash would take over... My tomatoes in the two EB's are about to take over my driveway! I have to steer the car around them when I back out each day. Should have ripe tomatoes any day.
Farmer dill - I have a packet of seeds for the 8-ball and maybe some space in a long flower bed. Do they grow really long vines? I bought one at a farmer's market here just to see what it tastes like. I won't pay that price ever again, though. Thanks for posting pics!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Most modern summer squashes are big bushy plants, no vine as such. Eight ball is no exception. A t maximum size they will cover a three ft circle

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks - I think I can find a spot for them, then. I'll start some seeds today :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.