cut worm??

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I had gotten a small Lantana plant and planted it yesterday, Today, I found that some of the stalks were off the plant like they had been cut off, Is this caused by the cutworm?? How do I fix the problem as I don't see any bugs on it. Thanks for any reply. ( Pictures) ~

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

another..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

One more

Thumbnail by IRIS
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Isris... it is possible it could be a cutworm, a slug, snail or even somethign that walke d through your garden when you went looking and stepped on it.

When you got the plant, did you happen to look at the bottom of the roots and aroudn the roots to se e if there were any little holes in the soil around the roots?

If you haven't you just might dig it back up and take alook at them. You might dig roudn the earth there and se e if you se e any of the cut worm larvae. usually if ther e is one ther e is more and they usually only a few inche s under the surface of the ground, also they wil leave track marks under the soil, little tunnel holes a they move through the dirt. If it is cutworms a little Seven dust will do the trick. Put it on top the soil or mix ina little bit and water good.

if it snails or slugs, you might get you a little dish and put it by it and fill it with beer or alcohol. Both will attract them during the night and drown them.

if it a critter passign through like a dog or cat or something, not sure what to tell you other than I would take the broken pieces, stick them ina pot and keep watere d good and Lantana easy to root and that piece will giv e you another plant.

Hope you find out what it is .

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think somebody/something walked through the garden and stepped on the plant and broke it, doesn't look like pest damage to me. I agree about taking the broken parts and rooting them, that's a great idea.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

starlight1153, ecrane3, Thankyou much for the information!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.