Any IDeas about this Vine?

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9a)

I just purchased this fascinating little vine today. It is growing in a six inch hanging basket. The leaves are small and green in the photo. I just don't know what the larger puffy object is on the vine. Also, as I just got it, are these red buds or the actual blossom? I just need to know what it is so I can care for it properly - either indoors or outdoors. Any looks and suggestions would be appreciated. Cindy

Thumbnail by CindyInAZ
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

I picked this up at a local hardward store and am anxious to know whta it is as well. My first thought was a hoya of some kind, but the flowers are not hoya-like at all.

Erick

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

That is an Ant Plant, Dischidia pectinoides. The large, puffy things are swollen leaves that provide shelter for ants, the plant gets extra carbon dioxide from the ants that live inside. It is cold sensitive, will not like frost. Does well in bright light & the flowers are small.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

Erick- they are related to hoyas.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you popper1. Does it like to stay moist, or does it prefer more dry conditions?

Erick

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

They are epiphytes, so use a bark mixture & let it dry out a bit between waterings.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you!

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is it - I am delighted that they are related to the Hoya as I have just started growing them as well as a couple of epiphytes. Thank you so much for the quick replies and advice. Cindy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.