Blocks Update

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I drove by Blocks yesterday, the sign says OPEN LATE April.

I'll keep you posted when it opens.

Paul

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome back Paul...nice to see you are here among..us Michiganers..oh my what a spring...waving...smiles.

Diana

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

welcome home Paul
G.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

My husband has breakfast at the same restaurant that the owner of Blocks eats at. The waitress promised to ask him when he's going to open and then she'll tell Vern and then I'll tell you guys!!!

I can't wait. I'm up here in AuGres. Hubby works downstate and comes home weekends so he's going to do my shopping for me. His job is right by Blocks. I miss being able to go myself. Oh well.

Brenda

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Paul, with the warm weather finally getting here this weekend, it will be very exciting when Blocks open. Can't wait till you give us the opening date.
toofew

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

My husband talked with the owner of Blocks today at breakfast. He said he plans to open on Saturday April 28th weather permitting. He did warn not to plant anything out for another month though and to give the plants protection.

I've found that they often open a few days BEFORE the stated date on the sign out front. I've never known them to open on a weekend so you might want to call on the 25th or so to see if they opened. If I find out for sure they are open I'll post. I guess he eats breakfast there every morning and so does my husband.

Here is the phone number for Blocks.

734-941-9388

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

The official opening is Sat April 28th at 9 a.m.

Paul

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Blocks will be open tomorrow, Friday, April 27th, at 9:00 a.m.

This is one day earlier than is stated on the sign out front. They always open earlier than the sign says. My husband stopped by there today and talked to them and that is what he was told.

Happy shopping!!

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

Blocks would be what/where exactly?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

On the corner of Eureka and Middlebelt which is out by Metro Airport area.

Grand Blanc, MI(Zone 5b)

I've heard so much buzzing about this place at work. Is it really that fantastic? I mean, is it worth a drive from Flint?

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Wowow...well ...today I went buy it..oh my gosh..it was so busy...If you can go...on a week...day...hehehe...Is is really great place..Today...was the first day..but..wowow...I would not stop...It will become better..lol...It is a great place..for veggies..and flowers....I do not know about prices...but wooow...

Smiles..Diana...

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Prices are great......I go to Swartzes too...My friend went to Blocks today..she said never again it was a mad house!!!Just like Flowerday at Eastern Market..

Hey Rockey... you should have gave me a call...LOL...We could have visited your ROCK!!!:o)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

My husband went yesterday, Friday, at 9:00 and it wasn't bad at all. He said there were only about 25 people in there shopping.

Unfortunately, he didn't read my list very carefully and bought whole flats of everything instead of trays. Can you believe I have whole flats of things like zucchini? ha ha ha

Blocks always opens before their sign says they're going to open. If you wait a week and go on a weekday it won't be so bad.

LOL....Thats too funny:o))....Maybe you can do trades or eat lots of veggies!!!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL

My list said pepper plants.........one tray of red, yellow, green.........He brings home one flat of each. I think there are 50 plants in a flat so that is 150 pepper plants!! I know there are 100 cabbage plants.

Well, if the food supply keeps getting poisoned I may be sitting on a gold mine. Ha ha ha

I'm sorry for laughing...but I can't help it!!!I gotta tell my friends to make sure if they send their hubby..to put down the cell pack!!!LOL..I know they would do the same thing..I hope you like peppers and cabbage!!!:o)

Edited to say I hope you REALLY, REALLY,REALLY LIKE IT!!!

This message was edited Apr 28, 2007 11:53 PM

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Loon, you got me chuckling too! That is just too funny!

Loon.... you out planting????

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL. No, all the plants are sitting in the garage with the door open. I can drag the hose in there and give them a drink and they can get fresh air and sunshine but be out of the bad wind we get here by the lake.

I forgot to mention that I have two flats on unknown plants. They didn't have markers on them. He can't remember what it was he bought and I don't recognize it. I'll have to go over his list and see what is missing. Whatever it is, I hope we like it cause we have about 100 of them. :)

I can't say much. He did the best he could and even went into work late to do this for me. I should have explained the difference between a tray and a flat. :) I have a neighbor at the end of the road who puts in a large garden and they have 4 kids so I know she'll be happy to get some free plants.

I'll probably plant Memorial weekend. Maybe sooner if the nightime temperatures are consistantly above 40 degrees. I don't want to lose everything to a late frost. I wouldn't put it past Mother Nature to pull a joke on us again.

I will baby everything in the garage for a few more weeks at least. I might plant out the petunias in my planters. They can take a light frost without suffering too much.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Loon, thanks for that advice about petunias, I have the ones I grew from seed flowering in my basement. I guess I can start the 'transition' from indoors to out.
toofew

Redford, MI(Zone 6b)

Wife and I when to Blocks Thursday afternoon it was busy but not over crowded .Proven winners 1.99 ea or a flat of ten for 18.00,New Guinea impatiens 4"pots 18.00.Hanging baskets 6.99 wife got 4 dried out hanging baskets that just needed a drink for 2.00 ea. Deals Deals wife said she saved me over a hundred dollars and in the same sentence said the total came to 136.00 . Lucky I only have a 8 ft bed on my truck she filled it.
Plants look very young to me now we are playing in the garage at night and outside during the day.

Art

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm keeping all my flats in the garage as well right by the door. In the morning I just open the door. I don't take them outside. They get plenty of sunshine and breeze just being inside the door without the trouble of hauling them in and out. I live by the lake though so we get a lot of wind. I drag the garden hose out there to give them a drink.

I noticed I have two whole flats of collard greens. ha ha ha. Anyone need any collards? I guess I could plant them behind the old barn for the rabbits to eat. I only wanted two little trays of them not two flats. Our garden club is having a plant exchange on Tuesday. Maybe I can donate some of the excess to them.

Blocks always had the best prices. That is why he's pretty much sold out within six weeks or so. We won't be planting out much till mid to end of May here. Some plants can take a light frost and not be damaged. I've had wave petunias set seed and come back on their own after winter so I know they are tough. Verbenea can take temperatures down to freezing. They are a perennial in zone 6 or 7 I think. They are a pretty basket you can put up early and not worry about a late frost.

Loon....I'm still laughing here...sorry but you gotta admit it he followed your list...LOL...To good.

I did'nt know Blocks sold PW's....must be new this year..I still gotta get there and on to Swartzes....they have lots of nice plants there too!!

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Well, I'm a Block's Virgin no more. Finally went there yesterday. Sure it was busy and hubby was a little anxious, but it was still fun. I knew what I wanted, so it really didn't take long. Good prices, and wow, a lot of cheap pots! Only thing 'different' I picked up was a Concord Grape vine, and Black Knight Cannas.

Traverse City, MI(Zone 6a)

When I was a small child we lived down at the river end of Middlebelt road, next to my grandfather who had horses. One of the very few childhood memories I have is going to Blocks when the wagons came in with fresh corn. Back then Block's was more of a farm and veggie place. Anyway they would put us kids up in the wagon to throw corn down to our parents. The last time I went to Blocks while downstate visiting my mother, was actually disappointing, because it made me feel old and lonely for little hometown markets where you know everybody. I will probably never go back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.