Morality of invasive plants?

Quincy, MA(Zone 6b)

I've been reading the threads about Chinese Lanterns and how invasive they can be.

So, in my own garden, I'm planting only two seedlings together, in a buried one-gallone pot.

I'll have 8 seedlings left over, though. My next-door neighbors do not garden. They have a half-acre of bare earth (playground for the local kids), bordered by a chain-link fence.

I'm wondering if I should offer the leftover seedlings to them. There are no other plants within 2 feet on either side of the fence, and the soil is probably poor. If the Chinese Lanterns survive, they'll provide needed cover.

The local kids love playing there, so planting the CL's might be a good activity for them. (The kids get my leftover seedlings and seeds each year for their home gardens, but this would be a first for the "playground.")

What do you all think?

This message was edited Apr 18, 2007 7:39 PM

Quoting:
The local kids love playing there
The plant can be a "problem child' in that it is quite aggressive and odds are it might do quite well in the area you described but beyond that, it is a member of the Nightshade family (Solanaceae). I believe the leaves contain solanine and are poisonous and it is stated they can even be fatal.

I work with a number of children's groups in the community. I see you garden in MA. If you are interested, I would be happy to share some seed with you that the neighborhood children might enjoy even more so than the Chinese Lanterns. The seed I have is indigenous to the eastern states and it would be my pleasure to send it out your way. Please d-mail me with your mailing address and let me know how many children you have out there and I will mail out a decent quantity per child.

Say, how thoughtful of you to think of the neighborhood kids. May there be many more out there just like you. Kids have so few places where they can go and be kids these days that it's nice when someone takes an interest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.