This is all that is left in the winter garden

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Everything is gone and past time to start anew down at the garden......there are a lot of carnations left, filler for arrangements, including
Bells of Ireland and hollyhock just to look at!!! Remember I am not the formal girl....whatever can get cut gets brought in the house.....

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

poppies won't fade....they are everywhere...

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Love Queen Anne's lace for a filler

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Bells of Ireland fading with the heat

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

there are sooo many carnations....who said we couldn't grow carnations down here.....they smell so good and I have no idea what I started from seed.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

wanted to take a pic of every color, but this will suffice!!!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous, gessiegail, I can't believe what you have blooming now. They are beautiful, I love the single hollyhocks. Did you sow your Queen Anne's Lace ? We have a weed here we call the same but somehow yours looks fuller.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I grow everything in the garden from seed as it saves money.....The only hollyhocks I can grow down here is the Carnival or Indian Summer series....I grew the Queen Anne's Lace from seed, too but never keep records to even know what I planted....I think the only reason they are so thick is that I got tired of planting plants and started planting them closer together the tireder i got!!!!!!
edited to say "more tired"!!!!!
Lenjo, I saw your great arrangement in simplicity....my favorite vase for what you did is a round open vase with those flowers just like you put them!!!
This is going to be a fun forum if we can all get our summer plants going......I am running way way late....may have to be a late summer and autumn cutting garden.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2007 7:21 PM

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

gg, that particular vase is so easy to arrange in. I love it, in fact I have three of them. My daughter, Katy , and I will be doing wedding flowers for my niece. And this weekend my school where I teach a couple of classes is having dinner fundraiser and we are doing the table flowers. We will use lilacs and all kinds of greens.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

have fun!!!!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

It really is so pretty when it all comes together. Joann

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous to see full blooms gessiegail. I wish we could grow hollyhocks here in the soggy NW. I've tried, as have others: they rust so badly that you end up with a bloom atop a naked 4-5 ft stalk, devoid of leaves because the leaves all get so ugly you can't help but pull them off. Your hollyhocks look lush and lovely :)

What beautiful things you have to bring inside!

Lenjo, I am NOT forgetting that wedding and my promise to you. Tomorrow's mail or bust...

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Poochella.......all but the hollyhocks got tilled today to get rid of weeds and get ready for the seeds of summer...
..I am getting brave and trying to spray pre-emergent before i plant seeds.....bad idea, but i am willing to try one time.....
I can always safely put the spray on after they come up but the weeds come just as quickly as the plants do......
I was using Preen and that is just too expensive for a garden....I am trying the farmer's way now!!! It worked in the veggie garden for my brother so you will be seeing me a happy camper or crying on DG.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I am not worried, Annie, looks like we might get some planting weather later in the week.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Gail,
I can't get good germination on Bells of Ireland seeds.I sewed a 36 ct. tray and got one lousy seedling. What's your secert?

Do you grow just annuals? I usually just use the annuals and perennials from the flowerbeds in the yard but I've also started growing annuals in the other veggies gardens for cutting fresh and dried. I'm eliminating my small backyard veggie garden in favor of perennials,more annuals for bouquets and herbs for fresh cut herbs.

P

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Bigred, I have had great success with bells of ireland and I always chill(freeze) the seed for two weeks prior to planting. And now I get volunteers every summer. I hope to see more soon as I hope to transplant a few to another spot in my picking garden.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I did the same thing as Lenjo......I put the seeds in the deep free and then used bio domes.....
I have always had a cutting garden, but after wanting this thread so badly, my back and neck are getting very old (LOL) in a hurry..........................so the only seeds I will be growing will be for cutting flowers just around my house.....no more big garden.....

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Lenjo and Gail.

I keep my seeds in the frig but never the freezer. I'll have to give them another try next year.

P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.