Guinea pig poo

Quincy, MA(Zone 6b)

Two guinea pigs and four tortoises provide the compost for my little garden.

I've been dumping their used bedding (Carefresh, timothy hay, and a lot of poo) into my tiny compost pile. I rake it over once a week, then use the compost when it's all broken down.

The Web just told me that rabbit poo doesn't need to be composted before it can be used. Guinea pigs are just tiny, cuter, rabbits, so it might make sense that the compost doesn't need to be broken down completely before it can be used.

If that's so, could the used bedding (Carefresh, hay, poo) be used as mulch, at least on the flowers? Has anyone used it?

(And if anyone knows a more gardener-like word than "poo," please let me know. All the other words I'm thinking of wouldn't be appropriate for any junior gardeners visiting the board.)

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Try "manure" LOL and no idea if it has to be composted.

MollyD

(Zone 4a)

Doo doo? LOL

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Potty talk.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Honestly, can you imagine another circumstance where the discussion of guinea pig poo is a serious consideration? Oh, Mr. Rodgers used both "poo" and "pee" on his show - didn't seem to offend too many 4 year olds.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2007 7:56 AM

(Zone 4a)

Very true Seandor! LOL We use the word poo at home with the kids.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Winnie the poo?
Poor Weather. Everyone forgot the question. I don't know if Guinea pig poo needs to be composted (For the record, I prefer you call them Italian-American pigs). And I don't know what carefree is.

Quincy, MA(Zone 6b)

I'm getting such a kick out of this thread!

Carefresh is a pet litter made from recycled paper.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Weather, Whether or not it needs to be composted a bit, it will be great for your garden and the environment.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Depends on what's been tested on the guinea pigs!

(Zone 4a)

Doh!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Yes, If your Italian-American pigs are wearing mascara, they have been used in animal testing. Please switch to plan B.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.