Help me

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

find out who I am? lol I got this in a trade from a young man in Fl and was told it is Japanese Painted Fern. I know that it's not, they have a frosty look to them and are totally different. My sis in law lives in NE Fl and she called it the same thing. She said they sell for $60-$80 there in large pots. I shared and gave her one of mine because we are always taking plants home from each others homes.
I've done a little research and it looks similar to Kimberly Queen. It has been living on my screened in porch in summer and inside in winter. Just wondering if it would survive in the ground here.

Susan

Thumbnail by Raggedyann
bossier city, LA

Susan, I am not an expert, but this looks like a Macho fern. Your sister is correct, they do get very large and will need a large hanging basket. Macho fern will need a macho hanger for the basket!! LoL

I plant mine as a filler in my shade areas. But I always have to remember to collect part of the fern before the first frost in fall. Notice I said part of the plant. After it has grown in the well fertile ground I plant it in, it is a monster by fall.

But look up Macho fern. This looks like what you have.
I am not expert so please do not hold me to this.
Janice

Hayward, CA

What i remember of my growing Macho fern is it's dislike of being underpotted.So,reading that its kept in large pots fits my experience. Underpotted, it sulked.
Also, it didnt take to being divided like most Nephrolepis. Its latin name is N.biserrata.

Libertyville, IL

This fern looks like cold weather holly fern--just ordered one from hostafarm.com. See if that is what you have.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.