this is for everyone who grows

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

vegetables in containers especially.

just before we had the big rainstorm here i was walking though best buy and noticed they were selling this granular stuff that you put on water and it absourbes it and then all you have to do is sweep it up. i was wondering if this stuff can be used in vegertable containers to help retain water. i wasn't thinking of this when i was in the store so i have no idea what its made of but was just wondering if anyone else has thought of this. thanks

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

Herbie,

I am not sure if it is the same stuff Best Buy was using, but there are products designed to do just that. I believe there was just a co-op for some. There are many brands, this is the first one that came up when i googled http://www.crystals.us/CICrystalIce.htm

Melissa

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i know aboutthe crystals and all that stuff but was just wondering if this would work but i would never use it. it must have seomthing in it that is no good for plants.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi Herbie-
was it white/clear /pearly, like crystals, or brown and claye like, like cat litter? if white, I would think its all the same. If brown I wold agree, not try it in plants.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

sallyg - it was brownish but not claylike and i won't try it. thanks

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sounds like the clumping kitty litter.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i had occasion to use in in my basement when i had a filter insalled and it worked like a charm. i swept it up into a big round container and left it there for a few weeks and when i went to dump it it was still damp[ to the touch. amazing

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.