We have Wren babies!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Day 1 of Mr. and Mrs. Wren's little 'flock' - the nest is in my 100 Disc CD changer that they exercised Eminent Domain on :)

Thumbnail by Hineni
Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

This is where we found Dad Wren sleeping tonight - in the corner of our front porch, just around the house from where Mom and babies are. I thought it was a porcupine!

Thumbnail by Hineni
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Mr. Wren sleeping in the corner is so cute!

Marlton, NJ

Congratulations!!!!! Nice pic of the babes!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Awww...great photos.... My wren couple..Ben and Jen, lol...had their chicks leave the bird house today..and alot of squawking began as I watched the babies struggle to fly. One wee baby actually flew towards me and landed on my porch railing about 5" from me...but then flew to a nearby mesquite tree.... thank goodness! :)

Melanie

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

How exciting..have you named the babies yet ?

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks all - we haven't named them yet, as there is still one, maybe two eggs unhatched. We're hoping they will finish up hatching today.

We have a Tufted Titmouse couple that has nested in the top of the basketball hoop as well, but we've been unable to get up there to take any photos.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Awwwwwwwwwww . . . what a treat!! (And Papa Wren DOES look like a porcupine in that photo!!)

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

It sure does! Good thing we were reading, otherwise we might have said what a cute porcupine !

Wimberley, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a cardinal that made a nest in a flowering geranium (hanging basket) in my greenhouse. I guess its been there about a month. Started w/ 1 egg , then made it up to 4. Anybody know how long before they hatch? She usually sits on her eggs while I'm out there working, but when she flies off, I always peek at the eggs, and nothing yet. This is my 1st cardinal family and I hope conditions stay right for the eggs to hatch....soooo cool! (I'm extremely easily entertained)

Marlton, NJ

Eggs should hatch in 11-13 days. I'd be excited too!

This message was edited Apr 19, 2007 8:18 AM

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

How sweet!!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

How cool dogmansis! I hope you are able to get some photos for us :) I counted 4 babies yesterday, and there were five eggs. I'm hoping I get a peek later today when Mama Wren is out eating. Daddy Wren was sleeping in his porch corner again last night. I'm having to fight DH to keep him from trying to catch and hold him...lol!

Wimberley, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll try to take some pics and post them but I've never done that before...I'm so low-tech...but maybe my 15yr old daughter will help me! "Daddy" came in today while I was out there, maybe to be sure I'm not a foe, and most of the time "Mama" will stay out there while I'm out there working...so flattering!...like they trust me! I've worked w/ animals most of the last 20 yrs (still do) and became a Master Gardener last year, so this is really cool for me. (easily entertained). Pets and plants, and I'm in heaven!

I hope to become a Master Gardener next year (depends on whether or not my daughter needs me at the exact same time as the classes to babysit my grandbaby who is expected in September). I also am totally entertained with wildlife and gardening. The only thing I've added is photography, but I really only care about photographing wildlife and flowers!!!

Marlton, NJ

Thats great guys!!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is the most recent pic I could get - day 3, starting to get black fuzzy fur-like covering. I'm sorry it's not better but Mom and Dad wren get a bit ticked if I'm there when they return from foraging - and it's in a dark corner of the garage. There are a total of 5 babies hatched now.

I still haven't figured out how to get up on top of the basketball pole to get a photo of the baby Tufted Titmice that I know are up there!!

I'm looking forward to seeing your new babies Dog.

Murmur and you both are becoming MG's? Wow, maybe one day for me. This is my first full year gardening. But I love the birds and flowers and plants - yet I work in technology...go figure!

Thumbnail by Hineni

Left brain, right brain, Hineni??!! You sound very well balanced to me! And such an endearing photo of those little fuzz balls - please keep sharing!!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Here's Dad Wren tonight before he goes into 'porcupine' sleep mode. He's in one corner or the other of the porch, night after night.

Thumbnail by Hineni
Marlton, NJ

Aww, he's so cute!

That is so sweet!!!!

Wimberley, TX(Zone 8a)

"My" babies hatched last Thursday morn. Kinda alien looking right now! Mom and dad still come in while I'm out there. I make a special whistle (I'll call it Johnny's whistle-he raised rotties and that was the whistle he used for them). I want the birds to know I'm "ok" (relatively!) but I don't want to confuse the babies w/ my whistle compared to mom & dad's. Is that possible or am I really not "ok" (not even relatively)?! I've got pics from morn. 1, but haven't figured out how to do the magic that gets that pic from my phone to the computer! Hopefully I'll figure it out before they leave the nest!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Most recent pic, from today, 8 days old. Mom Wren is no longer sleeping in the nest at night. Seems we lost one too, as we can only see 4 when we peek in the nest :(

Thumbnail by Hineni
Marlton, NJ

Oh how sweet!

They're precious! Great photo.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks :) That photo credit goes to DH, he brought the office camera home and it is simply a better camera.

Dog, usually you can E-mail pictures from your phone to your E-mail account, and then save the photos to your hard drive from E-mail (at least with Sprint you can) I look forward to seeing your 'babies'!

Wimberley, TX(Zone 8a)

My babies have left the nest already!! They were born on 4/19 and they left this past Sat, the 28th. Do they do that that quickly? I thought maybe I had dates wrong. Anyway, it was a touching experience....watching mom & dad lead them out of the greenhouse. Only one needed help & that was 'cause I was watering some plants I couldn't get to for awhile...the baby got watered too. I picked it up and held it to the window until dad got its attention. Sure seems empty out there now...I'll REALLY have an empty nest in 2 yrs when MY baby graduates from HS. One is already a freshman @ A&M in Corpus Christi...this one wants to go to the U of Wash. I've had my babies for so long...I reckon cardinals don't get much of a chance to "bond"!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Our wrens fledged yesterday, and I think the titmice are fledging today. It was so awesome to be able to have visibility on such a mundane but important part of the cycle :) The parwrens (grin) took the babies all around the house to different spots, showing them how to feed, chirping them along and warning them about the nosy giant following them around trying to get their newborn photos (that would be me)

I have a couple of pics, but I didn't have the spiffy camera and I tried not to get too much involved so that I freaked anyone out.

This one is titled "Mantra: You can't see me, you can't see me"

Thumbnail by Hineni
Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

And this one is: "MOM - there's a giant in the woodpile!!!"

Thumbnail by Hineni

Oh, my - they are absolutely wonderful . . . itty bitty!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.