Wanted: Info and your experience on growing Japanese Iris

Claremore, OK

I'd like to try creating a bog like setting for Japanese Iris; however, I've heard they are temperamental. I'd like to hear from those of you who have grown them. Do they take full sun?What time of year do they bloom for you? Do you have to take them in in the winter if you have them in a water setting? Do any of them rebloom?

Thanks for your help. I think this is yellow flag that I have in this picture. I thought it would be very attractive if I could do Japanese iris in several spots around this pond. If I got real industrious, maybe rotate some pots in and out.

If anyone has Japanese iris they want to trade or sell, I might be interested.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

JIs like acidity. Here I water mine with some vinegar in each watering can of water. Seems to kep them happy. Sometimes I add epsom salts too.

inanda

Claremore, OK

Good to know. I was looking at sight in Lousiville, Kentucky and they made it sound like the plants like pond dirt instead of potting soil. They also talked a little about the acidity of their tap water.

Any names/pictures of ones that have been good performers?

Lebanon, OR

My JI are grown in my regular commerical beds with soaker hoses. At the end of the season I mulch with 4-6" of the cheapest steer manure I can find. I also have on in a pond...in aquatic soil and fertilizer.

Dmail off line if you want a trade

Denise

Louisville, KY

deb I just picked u p a copy of THE JAPANESE IRIS on Amazon for 7 dollars. You might want to get a copy of it. From, what Ive read keeping the soil moist/wet and the ph low are the keys to success.

Im just starting to grow these beauties so lets wish each other luck
JOhn

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Full sun to part shade for your zone, which I assume is 6 or 7.

If you put them in pots in the pond, take them out and overwinter in the ground, sinking the pot down to the rim.

A bog like setting would be really good, but they can't be in standing water in winter, where it would freeze the crowns in your zone. Lining an area with plastic with holes in it to retard drainage would work.

I expect they would bloom for you early to mid June.

Like Denise mentioned, if you are doing them in pots in the pond, I would get an aquatic soil. The soil in potting soil would be too light.

A list or Japanese iris considered reblooming or longer blooming is here : http://www.rebloomingiris.com/list_of_iris_-_1.htm

Your pond is beautiful, and the Japanese iris will surely enhance it. Maybe consider also some Pseudatas-- a cross between Japanese and Pseudacorus.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

hey girl...........no see, long time......I cant send info on JLs, I know nada.........buttttttt, if you need some purple or blue like the yellow flags.....I got some (lots) and I owe you

Claremore, OK

Thank you! Thank you! Pollyk. Let me know if you are looking for something. As you may have gathered from Jackie I have lots of pond plants.

I'm now going to find photos of the pink rebloomers and see if I want to purchase or trade for some.

Hey, Jackie good to hear from you. Send photos of the water clover,water lilies, lotus, windflowers, iris, autumn clematis, daffodils and anything else that I sent you that might have made it.

Here is what I did on the back side of the waterfall at the school pond about 2 years ago.

Love ya,

Deborah

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Deb, you're welcome.

Maybe next year we could trade. I have lots of Japanese and other beardless iris, but they were either divided or purchased last year, so I need to wait a year. I'll check back with you then.

Do check out the pseudatas though. They would be great pond plants. And how about ensata Variegata, with the variegated foliage. That would look great in a pond, or even the pseudacorus Variegata, although it loses its variegation in the hot weather.

Look at this page under pseudatas.

http://www.ensata.com/HTML/PlantPages/species_&_bog.htm

Iris ensata Variegata

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Fall/Detail/01349_2.html

Claremore, OK

I'm looking forward to next year's trades. I'll try to check it all out.

Thanks again,

Deborah

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Deb,

I have 2 different types of Japanese Iris. Quite honestly, I find them SUPER easy.
Initially when I dug their holes, I broke up some clay plant pots and put them in the bottom of the hole (to retain moisture) as our soil is completely acidic sand. There was a fire years ago that wiped out this whole side of town.
I water as often as I can but mine don't seem to require as much water as I thought they would. They seem very happy and multiply nicely. Very hardy here in Maine.

I hope this helps.

Kim

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

THey hate me I have one and even though it is in the pond it is still trying to die They just hate me

Claremore, OK

LOL you all are too funny! Oh no, my southern drawl is showing.

Anyway, KimKreations what's the name of SUPER EASY ones??? Avmoran what's the name of the one that's giving you such a hard time?

I will be looking for these rebloomers if anyone has them to trade:

FAIRY TALE PRINCESS Nicholls 98 purplish pink with yellow signal
SAKURAGAI JI Society 92 light pink over pink with darker veins

In have pond plants to trade for these now. Next year I hope to have some Japanese Iris to trade.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Deb,

My girls don't have names so I'm not sure which ones are easier than others as I only have 2 different types.
I forgot to mention, during the winter when snow covers this bed, snowmobiles use it as their path :( Doesn't seem to bother them though.
I'm hoping to add a few more this year as they are so pretty and even when not in bloom I enjoy the lush foliage.

Kim

Claremore, OK

Oh, that's even funnier! Maybe you should just rename yours "Timex" Japanese Iris.

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. You might be too young to remember those commercials where the Timex watch is put through all kinds of tortures and keeps on ticking. Maybe you could save me a division of yours and I'll trade for something you want.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

What all you got in that pond, Deb?

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Just took picture of mine.. in wet ooey clay.. in afternoon sun.. don't know the name.. would trade one for a pond plant... hint... LOL
Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Claremore, OK

PollyK I've got all kinds of water plants. Lotus, water lilies, water clovers, Azolla, Penny wort, Anacharis, Arrowhead, etc. What all are you looking for, honey?

I just love seeing photos of everyone's flowers.

If I don't have it, I might know someone who has it. Not everything I have has a tag on it. My puppy who is now 72 lbs "loves" to water garden. He rearranged my pots of lotus at home. He is a great comic.

Love ya,

Deborah

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Not looking for anything, just wondering what you had in that pretty pond. I just have a very small pond, would like a much larger one someday.

Oh, and I would not consider Japanese Iris at all temperamental.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Love that "puppy lily"
Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.