Yummy, yummy, yummy

Northeast Harbor, ME

Okay, if you all don't know about Prunus depressa var pumila, read on.

I just got some in the mail from Fedco. It's a long awaited reunion with an old buddy from the past.

This is a very low growing plant, 8" tall is about its maximum. It layers in and is an excellent choice for a native ground cover for sunny, well drained, loamy places. In the spring, it's covered with with flowers that could be easily mistaken for Aronia. In the summer it has long, slender leaves that stick straight up. The top of the leaf is substantially darker than the bottom in such a way that the plant appears to shimmer in any sort of breeze. I never remember fruit. I suspect that, with it so close to the ground, it doesn't stay on for long.

Then the winter interest is phenominal. Once the branches start to get about 2.5 inches in diameter, the ground looks like it's covered in writhing snakes! Way cool, if a little creapy.

It might be too late for you to get one this spring but if you can, give it a whirl.

I've got some of these sandcherries and I liked them so much I am ordering more. Great plant!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.