beginner tuffa question about curing times

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

How soon can you safely plant in a new piece of hypertuffa, and what is the quickest way to get from casting to planting?

My apologies if this question is one of those that gets "asked and answered" endlessly here... I did find this thread about water curing, but I'm still not quite sure about the whole time line. http://davesgarden.com/place/t/580958/

I just took a class at our local extension office where we made small bowl-shaped hypertuffa planters. We were told to unmold the planter after several days, to keep the planter moist (wrapped in plastic) for 3-4 weeks after unmolding, and then to let it dry slowly (no freezing, no direct sun). Our instructor said enthusiastically that after a year we'd be able to plant in our bowls! You could just see the disappointment on all the faces... a whole year?? We'd been imagining planting combinations and possibilities for *this* summer.

I think I understand that:

1. Concrete/Hypertufa needs to cure "moist" for a while (4 weeks?) and then
2. Concrete needs to dry slowly, and
3. Occasional additional wetting during the drying process will make the concrete stronger.

I also understand that lime needs to leech out of the concrete or hypertufa before you can plant in it.

But, I don't understand why the slow drying with occasional wetting couldn't happen while the planter is in use... at least, provided you did the water bath treatment to leach out the lime.

Can I do the water curing method as described in the link above, and then start using the planter 4 weeks after removing it from the mold?

Any help & advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!