How do you know the spacing to use for a container? Petunia

Berkley, MA

For the first time I am planting some things from seed. I would like to do my own hanging baskets. I have been growing some Dolcissima Petunias. When it is time to transplant them into a basket how much space do I leave between plants. Do I just plant around the edges of the container or do I plant one in the middle? Or do I plant them all in the middle. Any advice you can give me would be great.
Thanks

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

As soon as they have the 2nd set of leaves you should be able to transplant them. I would put about 3 plants in middle of basket as well although maybe I will be corrected, I am not familiar with this particular petunia. Is it fragrant?

Berkley, MA

I don't think it is fragrant. I bought the seeds from Parks. So far they look great. Last year I just bought petunia baskets from Walmart and the middle of the basket was flat and empty. I am hoping for fuller baskets this year.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

It all depends on the size of the container.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here's a chart from Mischel's Greenhouses that shows their recommendations for the amount of plants for containers:

http://www.mischelsgreenhouses.com/H-ToOrder.html

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Loachie, I grew some of those petunias and love them. Especially the Flambe. And the Mauve one can't remember the Italian name for it. BUT, I had different experiences with them. Most of them were just like regular petunias. You gotta pinch the middle leaves when they have several sets. Then they get off-shoots. Then pinch those too. That way you get a nice tight plant.

I did plant one in a raised bed that had a lot of extra stuff in it like alfalfa pellets, steer manure, compost, pro-mix, Osmocote and I don't remember anything else, but that one went crazy. I also fertilized them with triple 20.

It depends on the size of your basket, and if you are just planting the top, etc.

Jeanette

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Loachie,
I would suggest that you plant your petunia in a small circle about 1/2 way in from the edge of the container. I think you will find time release fertilizer will make them more successful.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I risk being scolded for this, but when I worked at a garden center and put together container arrangements for sale purposes, we were encouraged to *cram* in as many plants as possible. As the plants poop out, they can be removed and re-planted (or composted) elsewhere. I generally don't worry about spacing in my containers, but I tend to work with 2" and 4" potted plants as opposed to seeds or seedlings. Does that make sense?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yep, it does to me and that (cramming) is what makes a full and pretty basket!

wrightie - that's exactly what I've seen Martha Stewart do (years ago when I watched her show) and exactly what the lady who owned and ran a huge coleus operation, Kathy Pufhal, created her masterpieces: http://www.bedsandborders.com/queen.ihtml

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

"You're a crammer, I'm a crammer - wouldn't you like to be a crammer, too?" No, seriously the pots just look better, but I find I have to water & feed just a bit more.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Pirl, I looked at the link you posted for Mischel's Greenhouses and it sure didn't look to me like she crams them.

I like to plant mine close but not crammed so it gives them time to mature without "pooping out" too soon. I suppose I could get by with cramming since we have such a short season but I would rather plant them a bit away and put in "direct sow" stuff like marigolds etc.in between.

Jeanette

Mischel's had the chart but Beds and Borders show many pots crammed to the gills.

Watering is more critical when they're crammed, I'd venture to say.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Time release fertilizer keeps potted plants going.

These are parent plants, for coleus cuttings, 4-5 years in the same container, with time released fetilizer.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.