Need help with training clematis.

(Zone 4a)

Ya know what? I bought several clematis because I wanted to cover my 4 to 5 foot tall fence but then I just thought - oh gosh these clematis are going to want to grow much taller!!! How should I train them along this short fence? Any ideas?

My idea was to have string fan out in all directions attached to the fence....I guess this would work right? Then I would be working more horizontal that vertical.

Help help help please!

This message was edited Apr 16, 2007 8:56 PM

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi DawnLL --

I have Jackmanii Clematis growing on trellises alongside my garage. The vines always grow taller than the trellis. So instead of having the vines flop over, last summer I took twine and ran the twine (in an "M" pattern) from the top of the trellis to the roof line of the garage. It worked beautifully. You couldn't see the twine once the vines grew -- and, of course, they didn't flop, either. So I'm sure your plan to use string will work fine. The vines should spread horizontally with no problem.

Good luck with your Clematis vines!

This message was edited Apr 17, 2007 2:31 PM

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

So, does that mean they will grab anything they can and go the direction it goes?

(Zone 4a)

I decided to use chicken wire fencing over my wooden fence. I think it will be okay.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, they will grab anything in their way. :-)

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

The chicken wire will work great!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, missed that about a wooden fence. They will grab anything that is small enough to put their tendrils around.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

My DH made a trellis out of 1/4 x 1-1/2 inch wooden slats we had hanging around and our Betty Corning is not having any problem at all with grabbing it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.