Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

...or you'll be sorry.

Okay, who is growing this? Please tell me that it is not invasive and that you Love it. I believe that I read that it does re-seed itself easily.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/780/index.html

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I think this is just a very pretty plant but I have not tried it yet.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I started some from seed this winter, but if it turns out that they misbehave, I may need to send them to "live" in the compost pile.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

My misbehavers don't even get to the compost pile, they get given away or moved to a brush pile to be burned. I put cleome in the compost pile last year and now I have THOUSANDS of them coming up everywhere. I cut off lots of the seed pods to prevent this but I didn't cut enough of them off evidently.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yikes. Good point. I'll just have to smoke em...

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I grew it one year and never saw any seedlings the following year. But it's in the same genus as some obnoxious weeds so I'd definitely handle with care! Also it's an annual not a perennial, just want to make sure you have the right expectations for it!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Strange, as everything I had read pointed toward it being a perennial. Perhaps it's just a heavy re-seeder. Not sure how I got that one wrong, but thank you, ecrane.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm growing this http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53616/index.html that my Mom said they always called Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate and it is a perennial. I planted it 3 years ago and I have yet to see another plant anywhere. It's planted in partial shade on the side of a steep slope and really hasn't even increased in size all that much either. It seems everything that others have a problem with being invasive isn't for me. Sometimes I wish they would be a little, because I have another space I haven't even started planting yet where they could be transplanted. I'm taking a chance they tell me with the Blackeyed Susan Vine I'm starting from seed this year. We'll see.

Northeast Harbor, ME

I grow both regular and variegated kiss-me but mine is annual, Polygonum orientale. I had a bear of a time getting it to grow from seed but, thereafter, it's seeded itself around nicely.

I don't find it to be too hard to get rid of where I don't want it. I've never regretted planting it.

I highly recommend the variegated type, pink flowers on pleasingly variegated foliage. Smaller stature than the straight species.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh I didn't notice the link in the first post. Seems that my Mom's common name for spiderwort is the same as the plant your interested in.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I have tried for two years to get these to grow with no luck.

Northeast Harbor, ME

It needs a cold period to germinate.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I did all of that I winter sowed, then I put in fridge and nothing worked.

Northeast Harbor, ME

I had a hard time with it too but, ultimately, I got a couple to take and it's self seeded ever since.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

About 1/3 of mine germinated.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I have run out of seed for now unless some wonderful sole has some to share. :)

Northeast Harbor, ME

None here. I got mine at Select Seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.