All in one morning

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Hiya BB, great photos of the owls and the hummers. I just put my feeders out this week and haven't had any takers yet.

The one in your last photo on 4/21 at 3:34 is a Rufous hummingbird.

Thanks for sharing your secrets - how in the WORLD did you take a photo without hands - the one at 6:33 on April 20th shows your two hands holding the feeder. Are you three-armed or do you have the luxury of a tripod :)

I appreciate the smile-makers!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Again, I say wow! And I seem to have is Rufous and they are ALL hyperactive! I was outside a bit ago and they are just buzzing all over the place - constantly! I'm still in awe over all those darling, calm little Hummers you have sitting there at the same feeder!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the info...Rufous, it is then, and I don't want anymore..he is a mean one ! Seems to upset them all.

Hineni: If you mean April 20 3:33, one hand. Wish I did have a tripod..would make it easier ! If I had two free hands I would try holding two caps full of water.

Here's a brave little one who finally decided to sit on my hand.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Here's the one doing all the fighting

Note the red throat . . . makes him a male. The others, with whitish or green-spotted throats, are females.

Quoting:
The one in your last photo on 4/21 at 3:34 is a Rufous hummingbird

On location, I'd say more likely Allen's Hummingbird (very closely related to Rufous and difficult to distinguish). Allen's breeds in CA; Rufous in OR north to AK (though they also pass through CA on migration, so both can occur in CA in spring). The green crown of this male bird strongly indicates (but does not 100% prove) Allen's, as Rufous usually have an orange-red crown (just occasionally green).

Quoting:
OMG: It worked... (and) Okay, one more and then I'm out to do more

This one is a female Black-chinned Hummingbird. Note the broad, club-shaped wingtip. The other CA hummers have narrower, pointed wingtips.

Another tip . . . put a finger on top of one of the feeder perches, and they'll sit on your finger to feed. I got hummers (Ruby-throateds) to do this in TX.

Resin

Quoting:
Here's a brave little one who finally decided to sit on my hand

These are Anna's Hummingbird or possibly Costa's Hummingbird - note the white line above the eye and the slender wingtip on the left bird.

Resin

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks Resin....I didn't know you were from Texas..or were you just visiting there ? I've never seen the Rufous here in the three years that I have lived here, he must be a lost one. Is it the breed of him that makes him fight, or because he's a male ?

Quoting:
I didn't know you were from Texas..or were you just visiting there ?

Just visiting! Also been to OR, CA, AZ, NM, OK, MO. Went past Blythe going from CA to AZ, but didn't stop there.
Quoting:
I've never seen the Rufous here in the three years that I have lived here, he must be a lost one

Checked the maps in Sibley more closely - neither Allen's nor Rufous breed in Blythe, but both pass through on migration. Allen's breeds closer to you, on the south CA coast around LA, whereas Rufous no closer than southern OR. Your bird can't (from the photo) be identified with 100% certainty, but (from the green crown) is very likely Allen's. If you can get more photos of it, try to get a pic with the tail fanned out. The shape of the outer tail feathers (slender in Allen's, broad in Rufous) is the only fully diagnostic difference between them.

Resin

Ooops! Forgot this . . .

Quoting:
Is it the breed of him that makes him fight, or because he's a male ?

Both . . . Allen's and Rufous are noted for being aggressive than many other hummers, and male hummers are overall more aggressive than female hummers.

Resin

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Resin:
Most people stop here but don't stay..(lol) Oregon is nice, thought about moving there one of these days.

Gotta go to work soon but I will get more pics of it tomorrow. So why is it you know so much about birds..do you do something related in your work..or just happen to like them ?

Gotta go before I'm late...thanks for all the help !

Quoting:
So why is it you know so much about birds..do you do something related in your work..or just happen to like them ?

Interested in them, and find it an enjoyable intellectual challenge to identify them!

Resin

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Good thing - a lot of us depend on you, Resin!!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Ditto, Murmur. I have lots of printed material on hummers, plus the Internet as a reference, and I still can't make sense of them most of the time. We were in Costa Rica several years ago and my word! you wouldn't believe how many different types are there.

Little did I know I what I really needed was a Resin by my side to answer my questions!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been trying to get a picture of this guy in my yard...not very close one but will do. Does Trois check in here? He told me "determination pays off." I was determined Trois!

Thumbnail by weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Today I'll have dd take a picture of my blue jay taking a peanut off my head! Sandy, we both have the same love for birds and irises!

Marlton, NJ

Very nice pic weegy!!! Yes trois is here quite a bit.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Good, he'll see my oriole! Still waiting for the jay.

Quoting:
I have been trying to get a picture of this guy in my yard...

Yellow-rumped Warbler (western subspecies, a.k.a. Audubon's Warbler)

Resin

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Not an oriole?!?!!?!?

Poor Weege - we have a steady parade of orioles, but none of those warblers! Great picture!

Male orioles are very high strung, alert looking birds and they make a loud clicking noise - you'll probably hear them before you see them. Any palm trees around your place? They nest in them. Do you have a feeder out?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Well whatever he is, I hope he stays. He eats from the hummingbird feeder, what else can I entice him with. Yes there are lots of palm trees around.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Well the bully never came back..or at least not yesterday. The hummingbirds are content again. Wanted to get a better pic of it but glad he has moved on....that one hummingbird I can do without out. I feel sorry for those of you that have that kind.
I'll get more pics later...gotta rest, I hurt my back moving a big tub of potting soil.

Lawrenceville, GA

Still no stinkin' hummingbirds for me in Gwinnett County, Ga. Go ahead and send that bully to Atlanta, Betterbloom. Better than nothin'!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Dd got a picture of the blue jay...flying away!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

hey: You won't want him....he runs off all the others. Meanie little guy! He isn't a regular in this area so who knows where he went to.

Marlton, NJ

weegy- I would try a Nut n Berry mix, thats what mine seemed to like.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Weegy, I could make you a hat that will have a bowl on top of it ! You can fill it peanuts so the bluejay will stay awhile.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

What do you want in trade! That's actually not a bad idea, smartie!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

A picture of you wearing this hat (lol).

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I've got your Bewilderbeast dug and drying by the way. Tomorrow I'll dig the collection for you. Sorry to get off the subject.
Where is that jay bird? Earlier when dd snapped the picture of the jay flying away, I whistled and he came right to me. My kids are calling me Mother Nature. Isn't that special??!!?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Very special, weegy12. Still waiting on that Jay pic.

trois

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Well you know what I'd call you...peanut head ! You can whistle...I'm impressed, never could do it, even as a kid.

No hurry on my order, when you have time. I just spend all morning in ER, I should not try to move things heavier than me ! Four pain pills & one shot later and my back still hurts.

Hope you feel better soon, BB. I had a shot a week ago Thursday and it fixed me right up. Darn discs!

That hummer went to my sister's place in Eugene, OR - it's the only kind she gets. OTOH, they get lots of other pretty birds I never see here.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks kaperc, he was going to give me something else but I had to drive home. I'm saving the vicodin for pm so I can finally get a good nights rest.

If that was the only kind of hummer I had I would not have feeders. He was so hyperactive he never sat for one second, always busy running the others off.

Now where did Weegy go...must be trying to tape a bowl on her head !

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

LOL Sandy. I have to wait til you send it. That darn jay hasn't returned. So I'd look pretty stupid with the bowl on my head while my neighbor was visiting wouldn't I?

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Weegy: Stop that ! Laughing makes my back hurt ! Besides, anything that I make you're not going to want your neighbor to see either.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Just tell your neighbor you have started carrying snacks around and this leaves your hands free.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Oh sorry Sandy. Actually go check ebay and you'll see what I've been doing!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Yeah to dig more irises Trois!

Fort White, FL

better: I saw a picture of a beautiful bird with a yellow head and black body...couldn't locate it in my bird book...you showed a picture of a yellow headed blackbird a while ago...that must be it. Have you seen any more??
I LOVED the pics you showed us of the hummers. I feel lucky just to have one...the pic of SIX on your feeder at one time....AMAZING....thanks.
JoyceDee

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Joyce: Last year I had to try like heck to get a couple of the yellow-headed blackbirds to come into my yard, this year i have tons. I will get another pic of them tomorrow. The hummers are still coming, by summer I will probably need three or four feeders.

Trois: I like that answer as to why weegy would be carrying a bowl on her head.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.