New gardener to Southern New Hampshire - zone 5

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Looking for suggestions for:
* Disease resistant, colorful, easy to grow shade plants which will thrive indoors and outdoors.
(Maybe a few flowering plants that like shade also - I love colorful plants.)

*Miniture evergreens which will thrive in shade

*The best place and type of grow light to purchase for an entryway that receives little or no natural light.

I have been pouring through gardening books and I am feeling a little overwhelmed at starting to garden here in Southern NH.
(However, I am sending my soil off to be tested by the NH Cooperative Extension next week.)

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I am looking forward to your insights.

Thumbnail by ICLove
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I am a newbie myself, so I can't help you - but there are lots of great gardeners here who are very generous and wise. I am sure they can give you some advice.

Welcome to Northeast Gardening Forum - the people here really are terrific. :-)

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Welcome IC!
You made the right first step in getting your soil tested. Good for you!
A few questions: Is your shade area wet or dry? When you said colorful at first, did you mean colorful foliage? Are you looking for plants to go from outside to inside or for plants for each? Is it deep,deep shade (under pine trees), total shade but with high branches on decidous tres, or partial shade?

Gee, and you were already feeling overwhelmed! Sorry, but as someone who wasted tons of plants on my shade garden before I found out what worked, these distinctions matter. One thing I can tell you for sure, the fact that the catalogue says it's a shade plant is almost meaningless.

Dave

Concord, NH

Hi, ICLove. Welcome to DG. I'll second what Dave47 said - in order to give you useful suggestions, we need a bit more information. He has a great list of questions!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Welcome ICLove! Don't have any suggestions but wanted to say HI!
Sue :)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Welcome to DG, ICLove and I agree with all Dave said so there's no point repeating it.

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Thank you all for wonderful welcome.
I am very grateful to be speaking to you all before investing in plants.
Now to answer your questions:

1. Is your shade area wet or dry?
I have 3 shade areas, two are wet spring/fall, dry in the summer and one is dry most of the year.
And then I am looking to place two miniture evergreens on either side of the front door in containers,
which also is in pretty much complete shade due to the north facing, tall building.

2. When you said colorful at first, did you mean colorful foliage?
Colorful foliage and if possible, some that flower. (I do love colorful, blooming plants; however,
I realize that given that there is not much light that the plants probablly will bloom 'quieter' than
one's that get partial/total sun.)

3. Are you looking for plants to go from outside to inside or for plants for each?
Both, I have 7 areas in a house with not much sunlight that I would like to
liven up with some beautiful plants that can thrive without much light.
(2 of the 7 areas have the potential of having grow lights installed.)
So, in the summer, I would like to have plants both places and if some of the
plants can not take the winter here in NE, then I would like to take them inside in the winter.
Otherwise, just consider there are two different sets of plants to purchase, one set for outside and
one set that will stay inside.

Is it deep,deep shade (under pine trees), total shade but with high branches on decidous tres, or partial shade?
Of the 3 areas 2 have total shade from tall buildings 3+ stories, both this building and others very close by.
(One area wet in the spring and fall and dry during the summer months.
BTW - In a triangular area within a rectangle plot (in the 1st area) that is wet spring/fall, dry/summer, there is strong sunlight in the summer months for a couple of hours in the afternoon. This area might be considered a sort of alley because of the high buildings on either side.
The 2nd area has a tendency to be very dry. (Have to water every day in the summer.)
The 3rd area is north facing and up close to the house and has a tree with high branches over it also.
It is damp/wet during spring/fall and dry/summer. (Have to water every day in the summer.)

Thank you again for your time and insight. (I just paid my subscription for the year at DG)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi IC and welcome,

You certainly have SHADE. The water issue doesn't seem to be too bad since you say you can / do water the area. I'll give my two cents on the outside. Coleus, Caladium, tuberous Begonia, and impatiens are staples for me. Of course, they are all annuals.

For perennials and shrubs - Depending on how big these areas are and if you are truly diligent about watering, you can do Hydrangea in the brighter areas. A flowering shrub that gets bright green winter branches is Kerria japonica. It has a drooping, suckering habit. The yellow flowers are real bright and last a long time. It does well even in deep shade. There are varieties with doubles. Clethra alnifolia is a great shrub that is very fragrant and will grow from shade to sun. They DO require good moisture though. There are different size varieties available. Hellebore are beautiful and bloom late Winter / Early Spring. The foliage is dynamite the rest of the year and they make a great ground cover. Most hardy Geraniums and Columbine will thrive in part shade. Vinca and Pachysandra are two other ground cover options. That should get you started.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2007 6:23 PM

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Decided to share my overall plan for plants at this time.
(Hopefully, this may clear up any grey areas from my last message.)
There are 9 areas I would
like beautified with 'shade' plants. They are:

1. The stairway from the ground floor to the main floor to have plants
on each step (over to the side so that the stairs can still be used in the case of a
fire.) - This area gets no sunlight and is not a good canidate for grow lights.

2. The entryway on the ground floor to have plants there, when the
weather permits. (This area is bricked with a very small circular window looking
out into a shaded area and a door, also facing another shaded area.)
Possibly placing smaller plants on tables narrow enough that they do not block the doorway
into the main part of the bottom floor or larger plants that sit on the ground.
(This area definitely needs grow lights wired in there
so plants there can have a fair chance to thrive.)

3. Outside the entryway (on the main floor) on either side of the door
Would like them to be possibly as tall as the door knob and Evergreen in nature. In
addition, I would like to have plants on the left of the railing
leading up to the door.
(A plant on each of the 7 steps.)

4. Inside the first set of doors to the left of the entryway (on the
main floor) (Would like this to be a tall, full evergreen bush:
however, it will have to find another place to live during the winter
when salt and shovel is needed there.) I am at a bit of a loss for
what would thrive there as there does not seem to be much light that
gets in there. (Possibly another grow light there?)

5. In the front of the building is a very small garden area that is
dry all year round and this area is total shade (due to shade from the building and
a tree out front.)
6. To add additional plants to the area directly to the left of the
top of the second floor stairs.
(This area gets I little light from a sky light.)
7. To add additional plants in a room with one tall/slim window on 3rd level).
8. To add additional plants to the garden on the ground level. This one
is the of the 3 areas that have total shade from tall buildings 3+ stories, both this building and others very close to each other. (area wet in the spring and fall and dry during the summer months.)
BTW - There is a triangular area within a rectangle plot that is wet spring/fall, dry/summer, where there is strong sunlight in the summer months for a couple of hours in the afternoon. This area might be considered a sort of alley because of the high buildings on either side.

9. The last area is outfront (north facing) that gets very little sun (1/2 of the circular garden area gets a little sun between being close up front of the house and having a tall maple tree overhead.) This area is wet in the spring/fall and dry in the summer (Have to water it every day in the Summer.)

Look forward to your suggestions.
Isabelle

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Can't help you with much of your indoor plant questions, except I have been amazed how easy peace lilies are. They don't need a lot of light but if you are putting them somewhere that doesn't even have indirect light, I think you would need grow lights.
Not sure if I'm understanding, but basically all house plants remain green all year.
As far as your dry shade areas (and I would include the area under the tree in this) here is a post from an older thread: Post #3339652.
For truly wet shade, I think ligularia are pretty dramatic

Providence, RI(Zone 6a)

Welcome ICL! I'm a newbie gardener and just learning, although there are quite a few very nice folks with a lot of knowledge who can help you out. Enjoy the forum!!

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Thank you Victorgardener for your information about different shade plants.
Question: is HELLEBORUS Orientalis Hybrid Mix the 'Hellebore' that you mentioned in the thread above?
(I am thinking of ordering 9 or so to get ground cover started in a 20'x7' garden.) What do you all think?

Is this and what I have listed below reasonable to get started?

KEHOP KERRIA japanese Honshu 4 each of them to start (They sound beautiful)
SPRING 2007 groups of 1 $6.95
$27.80
HYSRP HYDRANGEA Sadie Ray 3 each of them to start
SPRING 2007 groups of 1 $7.95
$23.85
CLALP CLETHRA alnifolia Paniculata
~SPRING Half Price Special groups of 1 $9.95 $4.97 3 each of them to start
(fragrant sounds wonderful!)
No further discount.
$14.92
HEOHP HELLEBORUS Orientalis Hybrid Mix 9 each of them to start
SPRING 2007 groups of 1 $7.95
$71.55
ASBVP ASTILBE Bridal Veil 3 each of them to start
SPRING 2007 groups of 1 $6.95
$20.85

My Hellebores are the Sunshine Hybrids, but the others would work fine. Astilbe are very nice but they REALLY need good moisture. I suggest using polymer crystals (actually I would use them for all your moisture lovers) in addition to diligent watering.

Concord, NH

I'm a bit north of you, but have grown several of the plants you mentioned. I've found that hellebores don't do well for me here. They may be gorgeous in gardens with less severe winters, but they aren't evergreen here and so when they bloom (now, when the forsythia are fading) they have no foliage (unless you haven't removed last season's tattered dead foliage.) The descriptions make them sound great, but there's a reason they aren't sold in nurseries around here.

Astilbe and Kerria should be great choices, and should help light up those areas. You can also put in Impatients which comes in white and various shades of pink and lavendar as an annual for bloom. It is easily found in nurseries at this time of year.

Other good perennials for shade include Tiarella and Heuchera, both of which have late spring or early summer flowers and often patterned or colorful foliage. Hosta comes in a wide range of sizes and many patterns of green, white and gold and has puple or white summer flowers that sometimes are scented. Solomon's seal (Polygonatum) has a lovely arched form with small flowers and also can be found with variegated leaves. Ferns have lovely foliage and some, such as Japanese painted ferns, have pinks and frosted colors. I've found Brunnera to be pretty shade tolerant. It has small blue flowers in the spring and can be purchased with frosted or patterned leaves as well. Lamium is a perennial that is tolerant of sun or shade and wet or dry, and will spread, making a good ground cover with tiny leaves (often variegated) and purple or white flowers. Pachysandra is kind of boring, but if you have a large area that you want a plain green groundcover, it will do well, filling any space available to about 6 inches high. Vinca vine is similar in that it will grow in shade and spread to fill whatever space is available, but is darker green, lower growing, and has small lavendar flowers. European ginger has shiny heart-shaped leaves that will spread slowly to make a good ground cover. Lungwort, AKA Pulmonaria, has speckled or frosted leaves and lovely pink or blue flowers at this time of year. A nursery that would be not too far from you that has a good selection of shade-loving perennials is Uncanoonuc Mountain Perennials in Goffstown. They have a whole section of shade-loving plants and another of just hosta, as well as a lovely demonstration garden, sun-loving plants, and an area of shrubs.

In your area, most of the Hydrangea macrophylla which only bloom in the spring on last year's growth will lose their flowers to cold winter temperatures or spring frost, though there are now a few varieties on the market that will bloom on new wood (current year's growth), and Sadie Ray is one of these, so you should be OK with that. You can also grow Hydrangea paniculata (there are a bunch of varieties, such as PG, Pinky Winky, and Limelight) or Hydrangea arborescens, of which Annabelle is the most common. Most of these you can get at local nurseries and should bloom in all but the deepest shade, though they bloom better with some sun. There are also a couple of Hydrangea vines, including some varieties with pink or white flowers and a couple with variegated leaves, which get huge (30 feet!), but will grow up a large tree or wall without a trellis and like shade.

I'd strongly recommend that you get a Clethra variety, not just the straight species, for a garden. The straight species tends to be quite large and suckers (spreads slowly.) You can get varieties that have larger flowers than the species or pink shades, as well as ones with smaller size, variegated leaves, and longer bloom time. The more sun it gets, the better it will bloom, so I'd put it in one of your areas with at least some sun.

Some clematis vines like part shade, and they can be long bloomers. They are pretty easy once established, though that takes about 3 years.

If you're ever in the area of Concord, NH, (don't make a special trip, though) there's a nice little pocket garden between two old mill buildings on Commercial St. just off of I-93 and I-393. The space is only about 12 ft. wide and 40 or 50 feet long, and gets only a short time of sun in the middle of the day. It has climbing hydrangea, hosta, ferns, astilbe, a hydrangea shrub, some decorative rocks, and probably some other perennials, though I don't remember off the top of my head. It's such a nice little space in what could be a rather ugly area - they've really done a nice job. (I think it's planted by some of the residents of the apartments above the first floor business in the adjacent building.)

As far as evergreens for shade, some of the broadleaved evergreens like some of the hardier rhododendrons and hardier boxwood varieties will do well in brighter shade. However, neither are hardy enough to survive your winters in pots - basically a plant would need to be hardy to zone 3 to survive in a pot in zone 5. Hemlocks (Tsuga canadensis) and Russian arborvitae (Microbiota decussata) are needled evergreens that live in shade. Both are hardy to about -40 or so, and might survive in pots, but neither has the form you want. The Russian Arborvitae is a lowgrowing spreader, sort of like blue rug juniper, but with different looking foliage. There are some miniature forms of hemlocks, but they are usually large trees. To find out more about the miniature hemlocks, like size and growth rate and form, do some research on the website of the American Conifer Society http://www.conifersociety.org/cs/index.php?module=PostWrap&page=http://coniferdb.no-ip.org/index.html (using the first word in the scientific name given above - Tsuga - to search) or ask in the Trees and Shrubs forum here at DG.

For your indoor plants - under a small heavily shaded window won't be enough light for any indoor plant I know of. Either they need light from a window - bright shade or at least part sun - or else a grow light. In areas without adequate light, I'd advise you to look at high quality silk plants to get the look of plantings. Anything you would try to grow there would look terrible and then die. Where there is enough light or a grow light, African violets and coleus will both grow inside. Coleus can be moved to a shady area outside after frost danger is past also. It has colorful foliage. There is an Indoor Plants and Houseplants forum here at DG.

Think about putting in a soaker hose in your drier shade areas and water long, but less often.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

NHBabs ~ welcome from me and the cats.

How many cats, Cat??

Only two - Holly and the {evil} Wallingford.

Mine is Crash. His brother had to be put down two years ago. I am considering two kittens since Crash just turned 10. My boys are pushing for it.

You should do it. The two kittens would have each other to beat up on and Crash would have hours of annoyance/amusement. You could check in at the Pets forum for rescue groups in your area - or kittens available. Do you know what kind of kittens you want?

Not really particular. Since Crash is a gray striped kind, I was thinking maybe we'd change things up and go orange - Tabby type. Thanks for the suggestion.

Poland, ME

I have a shade garden in zone 5. Things I grow are hosta, pulmonaria, tiarellas, trillium, jack in the puplits, Acontinum, lamium, primrose, solomen's seal, ferns, fern-leafed bleeding heart, primrose, etc.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.